PDA

View Full Version : Legend of the Gallant Jiraiya

Rock lee 13
05-10-2007, 08:42 AM
Legend of the Gallant Jiraiya

Jiraiya (literally 'Young Thunder'), was the scion of a powerful clan from Kyushu. When the family fell on hard times he went to Echigo province, now Niigata Prefecture, became a freebooter and rose to the position of chief of a chivalrous band of robbers.

He was initiated into toad magic by an immortal who resided on Mount Myoko, popularly known as Echigo Fuji. He failed to overcome and kill a hated rival, an older man named Sarashina, who was the cause of his family's ruin.

Jiraiya fell in love and married Tsunade, a beautiful young woman who was skilled in snail magic. Later, one of Jiraiya's followers, Yashagoro, was overcome by the spell of a serpent and became skilled in serpent magic. He took the name Orochimaru (Orochi means `monstrous snake') and attacked Jiraiya. Together with his wife, Jiraiya battled with this magician, but they were infected with the serpent's venom and fell unconscious. Fortunately another of Jiraiya's followers, whose life he had once saved, came to his rescue. At this point, without conclusion, the tale abruptly ends.

Toad, serpent, bird, spider, and snail magic were the principal types of magic practiced by thaumaturges in old Japan. They were supposed to be incompatible with each other, but in this story, at least, love found a way.

and This is the Legend of the Monkey you see in Naruto

Chinese legends has it that more than 500 years before the Tang Dynasty, a mischievous monkey was born from the rocks by the sea. This monkey made friends with a bunch of other monkeys and they lived behind a waterfall. One day, while the monkeys were monkeying around, one of the monkeys died and the monkey born of the rocks left the mountains to seek a way to immortality. He sought tutelege under a great taoist priest at a monastry who taught him the 72 arts of transformation. However, the monkey was mischievous and was soon chased out of the monastry for disobedience.

The monkey returned to his waterfall home, showed off his skills to his monkey friends and was crowned The Monkey King. One day, he paid a visit to the Dragon King, and stole the King's great treasure, the Golden Rod and wrecked the Dragon Palace.When Yan Luowang, the God of Death tried to capture him in death, Sun Wukong wrecked havoc in Hell too and destroyed the Books of the Dead where the details of when which person dies is kept. The enraged Dragon King and Yan Luowang reported the atrocity of Sun Wukong to the Heavenly King and demanded the arrest of the Monkey King.

Thus, the Heavenly soldiers were sent to capture Sun Wukong but to no avail. A long battle ensued and when Sun Wukong was finally arrested and brought to the heavenly court, he tore the Heavenly Palace apart and declared himself Sage of the Heavens (or Monkey God). The Buddha then arrived, tricked and imprisoned the insolent Monkey God under the 5 Finger Mountain.

500 years later, the Tang Emperor sent his sworn brother, Tripitaka, a Buddhist monk to collect Buddhist scriptures from India and on his way, he encountered the Monkey God. He rescued the monkey by removing the seal on the mountain, named him Sun Wukong and Sun Wukong became the 1st of Tripitaka's 3 disciples to protect him from demons and spirits on his epic Journey to the West.

This is the Legend about the Fox Demand

Fox spirits in Japanese legends

Legends of the fox spirit reached Japan during China's Tang Dynasty. One of the Japanese mythologies talk about how the fox spirit flew to Japan from China. The fox, together with the badger, has shapeshifting powers and became a distinct icon in Japanese folklore. That probably inspired the climatic fight between Naruto and Gaara in the form of a fox and a badger respectively during the Sand's invasion of the Leaf. British writer Neil Gaiman retold an ancient Japanese folklore "The Fox, the Monk, and the Mikado of All Night's Dreaming" in his one of his Sandman stories: "The Dreamhunters". The tale starts with a bet between a badger and fox shapeshifter. The fox shapesifts into a woman and falls in love with the monk, winning whatever worldly affection the monk was capable of giving. The story is an example of the fox and the badger's significance in Japanese culture and also an example of the link between fox spirits and the female figure. Fox spirits in Vietnamese legends

The fox traveled to Vietnam from China too. One of the legends has it that Lac Long, the forefather who found Vietnam fought with a great nine-tailed fox demon. Lac Long won the battle and slew the fox, creating Hanoi's West Lake, mythologically referred to as the "Sea of the Body of the Fox".

ITzANIllUZion
05-10-2007, 12:15 PM
and your point is wha???? i hope your post wanst just to show us these legends

ShinobiKnight
05-10-2007, 07:37 PM
I'm sure that at least the "Gallant Jiraiya" part of that was copied and pasted from Naruto Fever. Maybe the other parts, too. Isn't this the second time you've copied and pasted from their site and pretended it was your own?

SirBenoit
05-10-2007, 07:47 PM
yeah there have been a couple of threads like this, with the legends.. I dont think that he meant that he wrote it, but that he found it. i like the jiraiya legend the best, hadnt read that yet

YondaimeUzumaki
05-10-2007, 07:48 PM
Hold on are you trying to mix Japanese and Chinese mythology by claiming Naruto is based on monkey? I think not, Kishi has blatantly focused on just Japanese mythology for Naruto he even said in his first few chapters it started off as a story about fox spirits so i don't see how monkey is injected into this.

Seal_master
05-10-2007, 08:17 PM
can sumone summarize it for me

Rasenshuriken
05-10-2007, 08:21 PM
nice first i would like a point otherwise its spaming. also i can copy paste from wiki or narutofever too.

YoshiToshi
05-10-2007, 10:30 PM
The monkey legend has nothing to do with Naruto. I have seen it being used in anime such as Saiyuki, but not Naruto.

The Jiraiya legend doesn't really apply too much to the Jiraiya from, other than his name and the fact that they use Frog, Toad, and Snake in there.

And that fox legend is not the same legend that Kishi used in Naruto...

This thread has served no purpose, and you fail. >_>

Babyface BK
05-11-2007, 06:16 AM
Is this a fanfic?

Rock lee 13
05-11-2007, 12:18 PM
Nobody know if those story was true or not. If those story was true then they already die and I want to know what happen to the Monkey staff if there was a Monkey God.

YondaimeUzumaki
05-11-2007, 01:20 PM
Nobody know if those story was true or not. If those story was true then they already die and I want to know what happen to the Monkey staff if there was a Monkey God.

The Monkey Staff/Monkey God have 0 to do with the Naruto storyline so what happens to them is irrelevant. And as Toshi said this thread does fail 5 lines written by you, of which none really explain in depth how it relates to Naruto.

Is this a fanfic?

No it's abuse of the copy and paste feature.

AnticitizenOne
05-11-2007, 03:27 PM
I suppose he was just trying to show how Naruto relates to mythology or something.

YoshiToshi
05-11-2007, 03:31 PM
These are called "LEGENDS" for a reason. Do you need a definition??

1. a nonhistorical or unverifiable story handed down by tradition from earlier times and popularly accepted as historical.

It is unverifiable. Obviously it deals with the supernatural, and they are quite similar to gods or mythology. We cannot determine if they are real or false, due to the fact that they are legends........ Need me to explain it once more?

Sharingan Lord
05-11-2007, 03:45 PM
can sumone summarize it for me

Jiraiya and Orochimaru were friends. Jiraiya marries Tsunade, Orochimaru gets mad, tries to crash their wedding.

Well...that's what I got out of it.

YondaimeUzumaki
05-11-2007, 08:12 PM
Jiraiya and Orochimaru were friends. Jiraiya marries Tsunade, Orochimaru gets mad, tries to crash their wedding.

Well...that's what I got out of it.

And the characters for Jiraiya, Tsunade and Orochimaru are (very) roughly taken from this. Orochimaru's character comes from Orochi a lot more than it does the guy in the legend wikipedia (en.wikipedia.com/wiki/Japanese_Mythology) has a lot more info on Orochi and almost eveything else about Japanese Mythology.

OG
05-12-2007, 12:00 AM
no info threads =O....they are useless...good to know, but useless....