PDA

View Full Version : Legality of downloading the eps...

speechless33759
03-09-2005, 11:21 PM
What is the legality of downloading the episodes of Naruto? Does the Japan have the copyrights and with us downloading it is it illegal for U.S. people to download? What do you guys think?

Uchiha Kaede
03-09-2005, 11:28 PM
i think we're not able to download 1-60 cuz those eps are licensed

[Daisuke]
03-10-2005, 05:40 AM
Technically, you're not allowed to download any of them.

hotohori
03-10-2005, 07:51 AM
']Technically, you're not allowed to download any of them.

Yeah, I have to agree with you on that. :D We're supposed to buy the original when they're released. However, I have a question: are the fansubbers legally allowed to sub those anime they are subbing, as long as they are unlicensed? Or is it technically illegal even when they are still not licensed (only Japan isn't really that strict that's why they/we get away with it)?

moomunky
03-10-2005, 08:23 AM
what it is, is that it isnt legal, as in a way, it is still a form of piracy. you are supposed to buy real merchandise, or watch it in an unaltered form. but i can see two reasons why subbers get away with it.
1- it would cost too much money, take too much time, and hurt their reputation as being "the bad guy" if they took legal action against these groups. the groups arent making money of it, and are just bringing people who would like to see, and become future fans of, the animes. they are providing a free service, and if they were shut down, just for adding english words in text, the directors, and creators would be hated and get alot of badmouthing, and it would be huge news in the anime world.
2- they might not do anything, cause it gets a huge market of fans, and thats why it is taken abroad usually. US and Euroean countries arent stupid, and its the same as video games. if its popular, they will bring it over, to make real versions. if it flops, they wont bother. so these sub groups are a good way of getting the anime out to a vriety of people, hence advertising it for the japanesse company to the US. It is only as soon as the US gets their hands on it, being the biggest bunch of assh*les for legal business, that they make the groups stop. thats why if you think about it, you cant really find the naruto manga in the early first issues. its because the US has now printed it, and you aren't gonna get something for free when they could make money on it

[Daisuke]
03-10-2005, 09:32 AM
Plus everyones to cheap to buy all the anime ^_^ I admit I do it too, but when I can afford something I thought was worth it, I buy it. I just bought the whole Trigun Series from Australia, as their prices are a lot lower than those in the UK. Regions... Thats what annoys me. I think that DVD Regions should be scrapped.

moomunky
03-10-2005, 11:32 AM
']Plus everyones to cheap to buy all the anime ^_^ I admit I do it too, but when I can afford something I thought was worth it, I buy it. I just bought the whole Trigun Series from Australia, as their prices are a lot lower than those in the UK. Regions... Thats what annoys me. I think that DVD Regions should be scrapped.
i know what you mean.... when i went to the states, i was like a kid in a candy store at how much cheaper things were. i kept on doing the whole conversion of currency in my head. so what i was gonna do is just get a multi-region player. its all our fault basically... if we werent part of europe, and did things the way US does, we would get things quicker. its because ou TV only do so much, and has somehting to do with the power or something. it sucks enough that we are always the last to get things... when you concider we used to own most of the world XD (talking about the birtish empire; not as in like a bond villian or hitler XD)

[Daisuke]
03-10-2005, 01:21 PM
I take it your a UK person aswell then? I've got a multi region dvd player at home, on a 32 inch widescreen tv \o/

But thats at home, I'm looking at getting my DVD drive on my computer unlocked... Lite-On SOHW 1653S if anyone knows how ;)

moomunky
03-10-2005, 01:39 PM
']I take it your a UK person aswell then? I've got a multi region dvd player at home, on a 32 inch widescreen tv \o/

But thats at home, I'm looking at getting my DVD drive on my computer unlocked... Lite-On SOHW 1653S if anyone knows how ;)
thats right... i am from the UK, down south. i wish my one was multi region (knowing my luck, it has been all this time XD). it would complete my entertainment system; 32 ince flat widescreen, PS2, and sky digi-satelite box, all going into my hifi, which goes into my surround sound dvd player... a total of 9 speakers + a sub. all in my room.

im not sure if my PC plays multi-region or not

Uzamaki-Naruto
03-10-2005, 05:01 PM
I'm guessing im the only one looking foward to episodes 1-60 coming out in america here

moomunky
03-10-2005, 05:09 PM
I'm guessing im the only one looking foward to episodes 1-60 coming out in america here
im not... but thats only cause im in england.... othewise, i might look forward to it maybe

Yunacat
03-10-2005, 05:30 PM

I'm certainly not. It's going to be ruined, so i'm praying i can find an original unedited DVD when it comes out, that way i can watch it subbed as well..^^

Kage
03-10-2005, 05:38 PM
Well, I am not sure about the laws in Japan, but, during Regan's era we in the US got the right to record any show being broadcasted and transmitted OTA (Over the air), now, if this is a cable show or if Japan's law prohibit taping TV shows, I can't say. No profit is being made by the people releasing and subbing the show, again... to my knowledge, so I am not sure what laws they could apply to us downloading and watching these shows in the US. IMHO

kakashi_00x000
03-10-2005, 11:28 PM
I'm way to cheap to buy anime. It probly is illegal to download naruto episodes, even though the fan subs say "free fan sub", if your not paying for the original, then it's most likely illegal...or what ever. Now with 1-60 licensed, it's deffinately illegal to down load those episodes. I'm no expert when it comes to "the law". meh, what ever....ya.

Totchi
03-11-2005, 06:14 AM
Um I´d love to buy the anime, if it was licensed in Germany/Austria ^^°°°
I´m dependent on the fansubs, `cause there is no other way for me to watch the Anime. BUT I´d always buy the legal, subtitled version, `cause I want the producers to get the money for the awesome work they´ve created. ^^

kidistight
03-11-2005, 09:12 AM
I think we can download the episodes that aren't licensed since they are again not licensed, but the ones that have been licensed we would have to get rid of them unless we own the dvd's. How can it be against the law to own something that isn't even licensed here in the states, true the first 60 are licensed but not the ones after that.

kid_buu
03-12-2005, 05:18 PM
I think it's called Intellectual Property Rights. It doesn't matter if it's licensed or not they own everything Naruto, worldwide. It's too much work to go after the subbers let alone all those leechers out there. China has way too much piracy. You can get all the Kenshin OAV and TV eps on DVD for about $4. The subbers that do stop distribution mainly do it because of morale. Groups like AJ who releases licensed DVD rips don't give a rats arse.

ddt705
03-12-2005, 07:34 PM
i wish naruto wasnt licensed right now (now it is). kinda sucks now. i dont want to pay to watch them in dvds.

PermaSt0ne
03-12-2005, 08:37 PM
it's not illegal (alteast in the US). the reason why is because the sub groups arn't making any money nor are they preventing any groups from getting money. But once it gets liscenced here in the US that will change.

And to the guy looking forward to it's release in the US, i dont' understand why. all america does is ruine anime. they take the blood, violence, and cussing out. and the reason why that ruins it is because that's what makes up the characters personalities. the US should be banned from liscencing anime.........

Fierce
03-12-2005, 11:25 PM
Uzumaki-Naruto...why in the hell would you want them to come to America? The voices are going to be different and annoying. The names of techniques are going to be changed..and they're going to edit all of the cursing. And it's going to be on regular Cartoon Network..not Adult Swim. Most of that stuff would be edited too even if it was on Adult Swim..You must be like 10.

dynoma
03-18-2005, 04:18 PM
so there are absolutely no episode 1-60