PDA

View Full Version : Teenager who called a cult 'a cult' vindicated.

OffTheChain
05-23-2008, 02:45 PM
its a scam then *gets arrested? http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/3817/kruemelmonsteryn0.gif

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/may/20/1

A teenager is facing prosecution for using the word "cult" to describe the Church of Scientology.

The unnamed 15-year-old was served the summons by City of London police when he took part in a peaceful demonstration opposite the London headquarters of the controversial religion.

Officers confiscated a placard with the word "cult" on it from the youth, who is under 18, and a case file has been sent to the Crown Prosecution Service.

A date has not yet been set for him to appear in court.

The decision to issue the summons has angered human rights activists and support groups for the victims of cults.

The incident happened during a protest against the Church of Scientology on May 10. Demonstrators from the anti-Scientology group, Anonymous, who were outside the church's £23m headquarters near St Paul's cathedral, were banned by police from describing Scientology as a cult by police because it was "abusive and insulting".

Writing on an anti-Scientology website, the teenager facing court said: "I brought a sign to the May 10th protest that said: 'Scientology is not a religion, it is a dangerous cult.'

"'Within five minutes of arriving I was told by a member of the police that I was not allowed to use that word, and that the final decision would be made by the inspector."

[...]

The City of London police came under fire two years ago when it emerged that more than 20 officers, ranging from constable to chief superintendent, had accepted gifts worth thousands of pounds from the Church of Scientology.

The City of London Chief Superintendent, Kevin Hurley, praised Scientology for "raising the spiritual wealth of society" during the opening
of its headquarters in 2006.

Last year a video praising Scientology emerged featuring Ken Stewart, another of the City of London's chief superintendents, although he is not a member of the group.

And then...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/may/23/religion?gusrc=rss&feed=networkfront

The teenager wasn't taken to court. yay

YoshiToshi
05-24-2008, 01:50 AM
This is a bit foolish. "Cult" is merely a word-- I don't see why they got all offended. =/

OniKage
05-24-2008, 01:55 AM
it is maybe because it is a religion... for a religion, "cult" is a negative term. it means that the religion is secretly praising the Devil or some other evil god... the teenager may be arrested for libel...

Mashed Potato
05-24-2008, 02:43 AM
Apparently London anoners have been informed to call it a "colt" instead.

A young male horse. Sounds the same though. XD

YoshiToshi
05-24-2008, 03:36 AM
it is maybe because it is a religion... for a religion, "cult" is a negative term. it means that the religion is secretly praising the Devil or some other evil god... the teenager may be arrested for libel...

That's not true at all.
A cult is merely a term used to describe a religion that is false.
For instance, if one is a Christian, they would believe that every other religion other than Christianity would be false. Those religions would then be called "cults".
Since I'm a Christian, I've known many at church who use this term to describe other religions.

Whether Satanism is a cult or not, a cult does not neccessarily worship the devil.

In the eyes of that teenager, he obviously thought that Scientology was a cult. Of course, this is his opinion-- And everyone is entitled to their own opnions.

OffTheChain
05-24-2008, 10:59 AM
Apparently London anoners have been informed to call it a "colt" instead.

A young male horse. Sounds the same though. XD

It justs like saying cult with a Scottish accent.
XD

UchihaTaijiya
05-26-2008, 05:45 AM
Wooooow. /facepalm.

Sevi
05-26-2008, 11:19 AM
I didn't even though that was possible. You can get prosecuted for using a word?

I don't know anything about English la but. is there freedom of speech over there?

UltimateChaos
05-26-2008, 11:43 AM
I didn't even though that was possible. You can get prosecuted for using a word?

I don't know anything about English la but. is there freedom of speech over there?

Yeah there is freedom of speech but it is limited by libel and the endangerment of others. In that case they probably tried to say it was libel. Although the charges were dropped the Church of Scientology can still sue in civil court.

Xicidal
05-26-2008, 08:03 PM

That's a load of bullshit, arrested for libel. Don't make me laugh any and all religions can be consider a cult, any and all religions were consider a cult probably at least once. If you think a religion is a cult then it is a cult and you can call it cult, its not like saying a company has 5 bananas when it actually has 20. You aren't misleading anyone when you say it, its a ideology you ether believe or you don't. Therefor its only correct that some could think of it as a cult and other as if it was a religion.

The word cult has good and bad and neutral notations anyways.
By some of the vary definitions any and all religions can be consider a cult, rather you believe it or not, or consider it evul.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cult

Belle
06-06-2008, 08:24 PM
Honestly, I think the kid deserved it :\

There was a monstrous shitstorm before "Operation: Fair Game stop" and the main planning forums had a MASSIVE THREAD ABOUT IT. Anyone who had Cult on their shit and still thought they were not going to get in shit is an idiot.

That said, I absolutely support this brave protester.

Kamakazi
06-08-2008, 09:40 AM
Doesn't London secure rights to citizens such as, Freedom of speech/press.
Religion is a touchy subject... but it has been bashed over and over again for centuries.
Why does Scientology get any special treatment like this.
I think this might have been hyped up to get Scientology into the press.