PDA

View Full Version : American Olympians wear Masks in Beijing

Naruto2008
08-07-2008, 11:46 PM
Why should they apologize? They are world class athletes and shouldn't have to be exposed to the crappy polluted air in Beijing. All they were doing was trying to keep their lungs clean, for the 2008 OLYMPICS.

http://blogs.wsj.com/health/2008/08/06/american-athletes-break-out-masks-in-beijing/

kluang
08-07-2008, 11:54 PM
And their lungs wont be clean when they started their games.

Beijing air has always been an issue. Many athelete are reported sick.

wamberjuice
08-08-2008, 12:28 AM
Better safe than sorry!

Kites
08-08-2008, 06:49 AM
Think of it this way.. Would you want people coming into your house with mask because they think your air is 'polluted'? It's an insult. The Chinese have every right to be angry, and they did the right thing by apologizing.

Anyways... America! Fuck yeah!!!

Love The Anbu Kakashi
08-08-2008, 01:11 PM
i've read in the newspapers that Beijing's air pollution is in the normal range since China has signed the agreement to reduce the air's pollution to an acceptable percentage. they also forbiddend cars to run on in order to reduce the air's pollution. i think they did all their best to make this Olympics successful, and they did (i've watched the opening :D it was soooo cool!!! )

blake
08-08-2008, 02:44 PM
and from what ive heard only long term exposure to the air would harm you so being there for 2 weeks wont do anything. it is kinda insulting but they did apologize

Gamer
08-08-2008, 07:13 PM
China - The Village Of Acid Rain

Hokage4354
08-08-2008, 09:50 PM
Think of it this way.. Would you want people coming into your house with mask because they think your air is 'polluted'? It's an insult. The Chinese have every right to be angry, and they did the right thing by apologizing.

Anyways... America! Fuck yeah!!!

A country such as Beijing is known for it's air pollution, so unless the person's
house your entering is some grumpy old man, then they should be understanding. =/

LonelyNinja
08-08-2008, 11:54 PM
A country such as Beijing is known for it's air pollution, so unless the person's
house your entering is some grumpy old man, then they should be understanding. =/
Beijing's a city, not a country, and the Chinese have different customs and mannerisms than Americans. Like Kites said, it's insulting to them. So the Americans' apology isn't wrong, it was the right thing to do.

Minamoto4444
08-09-2008, 12:30 AM
Beijing's a city, not a country, and the Chinese have different customs and mannerisms than Americans. Like Kites said, it's insulting to them. So the Americans' apology isn't wrong, it was the right thing to do.
Yeah China is different, but isnt the whole point of the Olympics to put aside different customs and politics and just have a nice competition? Hell, if I was to participate in the Olympics I would where a gas mask where ever I was. Its the Olympics, these guys just dont want to be slowed down by anything.

LonelyNinja
08-09-2008, 12:37 AM
Yeah China is different, but isnt the whole point of the Olympics to put aside different customs and politics and just have a nice competition? Hell, if I was to participate in the Olympics I would where a gas mask where ever I was. Its the Olympics, these guys just dont want to be slowed down by anything.
Yes, it's about global sportsmanship, but part of being a good sport is being polite, too. Don't step on the toes of someone acting as your host. So it's not a bad idea to protect your lungs, but it's a bad idea to be rude, even unintentionally.

satsuki
08-09-2008, 12:39 AM
lets say they want to protect themselves from polluted air but still they have to respect Chinese. its a little bit insulting in their part..

prez420
08-19-2008, 01:22 AM
China should have better environmental standards. They dont give a crap how much garbage they pump up into the sky so why should people care about their feelings ? They clearly dont care about our feelings about keeping planet earth clean for future generations. These athletes train most of there lives to get their bodies as fit as they r y should they risk ruining their lungs for the sake of china's feelings?

zer0systm
08-28-2008, 11:43 AM
Question.....we dont get much coverage on the Yanks here at the the olympics for obvious reasons did the Yanks wear gas mask's everywhere they went in china? if not why walk round the stadium on the last night wearing them? i know the didn't wear them when they ran their races and such