PDA

View Full Version : Rat meat in demand in Cambodia as inflation bites

Hiraku
08-28-2008, 01:24 AM
As food prices soar around the world see how the poorest of the world adapt to have food in there stomachs. The question is would you be hungry enough to eat rat meat.

But this are wild rodents not the filthy rats from our city streets.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080827/od_uk_nm/oukoe_uk_cambodia_rats

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20080827/i/ra4060259671.jpg?

Those Are Skinned Rats

Miu
08-28-2008, 01:27 AM
That's sad. Considering that rats are probably the filthiest animals in the world, and they bring a lot of diseases with them. I hope that doesn't happen here...

shadow_moon
09-02-2008, 05:24 PM
That's sad. Considering that rats are probably the filthiest animals in the world, and they bring a lot of diseases with them. I hope that doesn't happen here...

i don't think so. rats came from farms, rice fields are not dirty as city rats... wild rats eat grains (rice, fruits, etc...) while city rats eats mostly coming from garbage.....

Idaho?
09-02-2008, 07:36 PM
I think it doesn't matter. As long as theres nutrition, eat it!

HaX3
09-02-2008, 08:51 PM
Looks good

LonelyNinja
09-02-2008, 10:27 PM
Rats actually like to be very clean animals, similar to pigs. Rats constantly groom their own fur. Thing is, they eat all kinds of shit, so I'm guessing that's how that whole "rats r durty, hurr hurr" started. Also, if you cook the rat meat, chances are very high that you'll kill any bacteria in it. And if you don't kill all of the bacteria, there's probably enough that it won't kill you, but in fact make your immune system stronger! So eat your rats, kids.

Miu
09-02-2008, 10:39 PM
But if that is so, why did the bubonic plague originate from them?

Idaho?
09-02-2008, 10:49 PM
Because the unclean rats commonly found in rural places there probably got the disease from unclean places. The are such things as clean rats ya know...

Rats actually like to be very clean animals, similar to pigs. Rats constantly groom their own fur. Thing is, they eat all kinds of shit, so I'm guessing that's how that whole "rats r durty, hurr hurr" started. Also, if you cook the rat meat, chances are very high that you'll kill any bacteria in it. And if you don't kill all of the bacteria, there's probably enough that it won't kill you, but in fact make your immune system stronger! So eat your rats, kids.

*laughs* And I thought vegetables were good for you...

LonelyNinja
09-02-2008, 10:55 PM
But if that is so, why did the bubonic plague originate from them?
The Dark Ages was a very different time than now. No one knew how to properly dispose of bodies, no one knew that rats were helping to spread it, and no one did anything to prevent the spreading. It was a lot more than rats that spread the Black Death, that's for sure. But right now, it's possible to clean rats, and again, cooking them thoroughly will help to kill any bacteria. Also, Cambodia won't go through a Bubonic breakout because the plague a) originated in Europe, and b) it's almost completely extinct (only a few rural areas of Europe still have infected animals, but those places are very, very, very isolated).

Hiraku
09-02-2008, 11:14 PM
Actually the black plague started in Asia and traveled thru the silk road to Constatinople. From there it spread to Europe thru the trade routes. And it wasnt the Rats that caused the plague it was the flees. And like Lonely Ninja stated the Dark Ages were completly the opposite of what we are today.

They lacked basic knowledge of how to prepare food properly and hygenicly.

Would any one eat a rabbit?

akuryuken
09-02-2008, 11:21 PM
well if the rats taste good and dont kill me(or make me sick) i will eat:rolleyes:

Miu
09-02-2008, 11:28 PM
I'm not saying that there could be a possible outbreak in Cambodia. They could be cleaned, but I what kind of water are they using? And if they're not cooked properly there still would be bacteria in them.

Hiraku
09-02-2008, 11:29 PM
what is really bad about the situation around the world with food prices rising. Countrys as poor as cambodia and in africa will be forced to eat such things no matter how clean it is. Its still a sad thing.

LonelyNinja
09-02-2008, 11:35 PM
Actually the black plague started in Asia and traveled thru the silk road to Constatinople. From there it spread to Europe thru the trade routes. And it wasnt the Rats that caused the plague it was the flees. And like Lonely Ninja stated the Dark Ages were completly the opposite of what we are today.

They lacked basic knowledge of how to prepare food properly and hygenicly.

Would any one eat a rabbit?
Well, the rats carried the fleas, and the fleas got the infected blood from the rats. So yes, rats are rather responsible for the Black Plague, just not the only factor.

Yeah, I'd probably eat a rabbit. After thoroughly cooking it, of course.

kakashi1300
09-03-2008, 12:33 AM
from what i know farm rats are edible (but wouldn't go as far as eating one lol). they do not breed on the dirtiest of the city areas, but feed on plants and are purely natural.

and from what i know the bubonic plague was caused by the mice fleas, not the mice themselves (although they were the agents in spreading the disease). the asian and the european versions are different. the asian one is more dreadful in the case that a nosebleed means certain death a few days from that time.

Hiraku
09-03-2008, 12:40 AM
rats burgers any one.

kluang
09-03-2008, 01:13 AM
I'll turn into a vegetable diet then eating rats.

UchihaTaijiya
09-03-2008, 09:35 AM
I'd eat a rat if I lived in Cambodia.

Rabbit's good, try it. xD Just dont ever be around when someone has to slaughter them. <.< /knows from experience, ex had a buncha rabbits.