PDA

View Full Version : Teacher Suspended for teaching kids Obama's a nigga

OffTheChain
10-12-2008, 08:59 AM
http://www.wftv.com/news/17614516/detail.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDQLibKhFEM

A Marianna middle-school teacher has been suspended for 10 days without pay after he wrote a racially charged interpretation of a commonly used phrase in the presidential campaign of Sen. Barack Obama.

While some parents and community activists were outraged by the actions of Greg Howard, Jackson County NAACP officials want to gather more facts before the group considers taking action. But some parents feel Howard should be fired.

Larry Moore, deputy superintendent for the Jackson County School District, said school officials determined Howard wrote an acronym with an explanation on a dry-erase board in his class Sept. 26 at Marianna Middle School.

It said, "C.H.A.N.G.E. — Come Help A (N-word) Get Elected."

Howard, who's been teaching in the district for 17 years, wrote the comment during his seventh-grade social-studies class that included 17 white students, six black students and one Asian.

Howard was suspended with pay Monday while the incident was investigated. The reprimand was elevated to a 10-day suspension without pay starting Thursday. Howard also must write a letter of apology to the students.

Howard will be reassigned to teach in the district's Adult Education Program.

"We feel like the punishment is sufficient," Moore said. "We did not feel he had to be fired."

Moore said Howard did not have any other disciplinary action prior to this incident.

But some parents are livid that the teacher would use the "N-word" in classroom.

"To me, it's hurtful," said Audrey Wad, a Marianna resident with nieces and nephews at the school. "The idea that he would impose his political opinion on the children is wrong to me. That's where he crossed the line."

Elmore Bryant, area director and former immediate past president of the Jackson County branch of the NAACP, said Howard spewed his racially charged "poison" onto students.

Bryant, who taught in Jackson County for more than 40 years, said Howard's comment was "totally inappropriate, out of place, out of character and bad timing."

Of the NAACP, he said, "It's always our position to get all the facts from all sides before we do any action."

Moore said the district will send its investigation findings to the Florida Department of Education's Office of Professional Practice Services, which will determine if further reprimands, such as revoking Howard's teacher certification, will be handed down.

oh boy.

Joaquin8911
10-12-2008, 10:33 AM
Too bad things like this will never change, it's even worse coming from a teacher.

"C.H.A.N.G.E. — Come Help A (N-word) Get Elected." But i gotta say it was funny, don't get me wrong, it was original, but it's not right of course.

Pride
10-12-2008, 10:36 AM
I thought it was funny *shrug*

I dont see why they have to punish him, i dont see anything wrong with what he did.

Distortion
10-12-2008, 10:40 AM
me neither them niggas are overreacting, anyways he's not very original.. about a month or two ago I got a text saying the same motto "come help a nigga get elected" and it was a pro obama message.. so yeah .. plus he's only half black..

Pride
10-12-2008, 10:54 AM
sooo... "come help a nig get elected" ?

Le0N
10-12-2008, 11:19 AM
I could totally see G saying something like that

Babyface BK
10-12-2008, 11:37 AM
Obama for mankind!!!

jonsanlc
10-12-2008, 11:51 AM
I'm sorry, but this is hilarious... hahaha.

I have no problem with it...plus, I hate Obama anyway. ^_^

blake
10-12-2008, 02:04 PM
its kind of funny but also dumb. why would a teacher think thats acceptable

LordKraven
10-12-2008, 06:55 PM
It said, "C.H.A.N.G.E. — Come Help A (N-word) Get Elected."

jeez.... in a way its kinda funny... but like why would you be racist? :S

ThyMaiden
10-12-2008, 07:02 PM
ehhh I'm black and dont feel offended
well not black hispanic
but close
i think they are overreacting

Kilik 64
10-13-2008, 06:12 PM
They may be overreacting, but the fact that he couldn't see the situation ending badly for him by saying that is kinda sad.

EJ
10-13-2008, 06:38 PM
It was kinda funny even though it was wrong.

Yeah, his punishment is fair enough, he didn't deserve to get fired. We all have opinions, unfortunately he didn't keep his to himself.

ehhh I'm black and dont feel offended
well not black hispanic
but close
i think they are overreacting

Well, supposedly we're 1/3 African so yeah.

Avian
10-15-2008, 01:35 AM
Well it has the same effect as...

Come help a Nazi get elected.

Xei
10-15-2008, 01:57 AM
I find this hilarious..

but at the same time wrong. well, on convo with persons his age would be okay coz people could understand what's that really meant but teaching it to his students who's not mature enough is just wrong.

Avian
10-15-2008, 02:03 AM
^His teaching it to kids cause he know kids wont beat his a** down!! XD

LonelyNinja
10-15-2008, 09:16 PM
Other than the racism (serious or otherwise), what bugs me is how unprofessional that is. It's fine if someone's racist as long as they aren't lynching people, but when they bring it into their job, teaching kids, no less, consequences are in order.

itsokihadsubwaytoday
10-16-2008, 02:22 AM
Other than the racism (serious or otherwise), what bugs me is how unprofessional that is. It's fine if someone's racist as long as they aren't lynching people, but when they bring it into their job, teaching kids, no less, consequences are in order.

Oh it was probably a joke. I've heard the same thing from at least 5 other people. He prolly just thought it was a funny (which in some settings, it is) and some kid just so happened to repeat the joke to his mommy. I swear, people get so butt-hurt about things these days. I'm sure Obamas taken worse sh*t than that.

naruto0510
10-16-2008, 05:59 PM
Man this stuff pisses me off. I mean, why can't we allow people to run for office without making a big deal because they're black something. For gods sake it's just a different color of skin. We are all humans and why can't we accept that? I mean you hear asians, blacks and other races get made fun of, but you never hear whites getting made fun of. I'm getting really sick of this crap.

fox maiden
10-16-2008, 07:15 PM
^excuse me? where do u live? whites get made fun of all the time. unless u live in like an all white community, then i don't even see how you could say that. =/

this was really funny tho, but yea, i guess he got what was nessecary...

naruto0510
10-16-2008, 08:47 PM
^ I mean that I never really hear jokes about that where I live.

Azumi
10-16-2008, 09:00 PM
i wonder why would they react in such way...i mean even black people use the "N-word" themselves. but dont get me wrong, im not saying all of them. u know who they are...

nwei, i dont really know the exact impact that "N-word" has to black people, but i guess that teacher who was suspended didnt know it as well, the impact of the N-word, that is.

(this issue reminds me of the word "mudblood" >_>)

ninjalion
10-16-2008, 09:26 PM
wow. its sad to think that a teacher would think that was ok to say. you shouldn't be teaching kids that... even if it is halarious. i personally don't like obama, but i don't think this election should have anything to do with race.

LonelyNinja
10-16-2008, 11:41 PM
Oh it was probably a joke. I've heard the same thing from at least 5 other people. He prolly just thought it was a funny (which in some settings, it is) and some kid just so happened to repeat the joke to his mommy. I swear, people get so butt-hurt about things these days. I'm sure Obamas taken worse sh*t than that.
The point is is that the teacher, a professional, should not be using offensive language like that around children, especially if they're a group of young children who, at that age, make connections between words and people (such as the N word relating to Africans, faggot/dike to homosexuals, Jap/Chink/etc. to Asians, and so on). If the teacher said it with some friends in a bar, that would be fine because it's a different environment. Yeah, Obama has been called worse things like that, but that doesn't make this any less significant.

idiggory
10-17-2008, 01:40 AM
The problem is the setting. This was where he WORKED as a TEACHER.

In education programs, one of the first things they tell you is to check your politics and personal life at the door.

My [good] history teachers in high school refused, point-blank, to tell us their political parties and views. Why? Because that is something people should find on their own. How many Democrats/Republicans out there are only registered as such because they were taught that it was the only acceptable path? A lot of them.

Without even getting into the unprofesionality of the statement, it was rediculously unprofesional to openly support one candidate in the first place. Even if you completely disagree, the good teacher will ALWAYS play devil's advocate during a political discussion. A Republican teacher should ask a student why they think lack of trade restrictions is good. A Democratic teacher should ask a student why they think that government programs are good.

Your personal politics have no place in the office--unless, of course, you work in a politcal one. Factor in that he was TEACHING while this happened, not talking to a coworker in the teacher's lounge, and that is REDICULOUS.

I DO, however, think that the suspension should be enough if he issues an apology. It isn't like he hit a student, and this probably won't happen again.

What I find even more rediculous is that the article had to tell us the racial backgrounds of the class. Who gives a crap what race they are--it doesn't change anything. It is just as unprofesional to say that in a class full of white students as it is to one of Black/Asian/Middle-Eastern/Male/Female/Gay/Straight/Whatever students.

The N-word isn't even the real problem.

catilena1890
10-17-2008, 09:48 AM
ROFLMAO! That is so stupid. *hahaha*