PDA

View Full Version : Teen who ran away over Xbox found dead in field

The Assassins Curse
11-06-2008, 04:08 AM
A TEENAGED boy who ran away from home after his father took away his Xbox game console has been found dead in a field.

Brandon Crisp, 15, took off on his bicycle from his Barrie, Ontario home on October 13, sparking a huge police search with help of 1600 volunteers that turned up no clues except for his abandoned bicycle with a flat tyre.

Xbox-maker Microsoft and others had offered a $C50,000 ($62,000) reward for information on his whereabouts.

Yesterday, police said only that hunters had found a body in the search area.

The daily Toronto Star said on its website that Brandon's parents had been notified it was their son, and students at his school were told the news at an assembly.

Brandon's father previously said he had removed Brandon's Xbox after noticing changes in his behaviour since Brandon started playing Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare online.

The boy started skipping school, stealing money and ignoring his studies, his father said.

In an interview with the daily Globe and Mail, the boy's father, Steve Crisp, said he had not known how important the gaming system was to his son and how he would react when it was taken away.

Experts commented that gamers may form bonds with fellow online players.

"This had become his identity, and I didn't realise how in-depth this was until I took his Xbox away,'' Mr Crisp told the Globe and Mail.

"That's like cutting his legs off.''

"This is such an issue that hits every parent out there, with video games that are starting to control our kids' lives,'' he said.

"I just took away his identity, so I can understand why he got so mad and took off. Before, I couldn't understand why he was taking off for taking his game away.''

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,24610292-952,00.html

I knew this would happen as soon as they said he ran away just because his parents took away his Xbox. Pretty dumb reason to run away if you ask me.

Avian
11-06-2008, 04:27 AM
A fitting end for a spoiled brat!!

I hate spoiled little children!! They should be scarred emotionally for their stubborness!!

kluang
11-06-2008, 06:05 AM
Must... obey... Bill Gates... buy more games... Vista is good... Apple is evil. Must kill Steve Jobs... obey the overlord

sheik
11-06-2008, 06:22 AM
Wow....

"DAD!!! I WAS ABOUT TO PWN SOME MORE N00BS!!! GIVE ME BACK MY XBOX BEFORE I HAXX0R5 YOU!!!!!

Teh Big One
11-06-2008, 10:17 AM
And its idiots like that that give us gamers bad rep.

Sevi
11-06-2008, 07:05 PM
^ My thoughts exactly.

This type of retarded behavior is precisely why some people think videogames are evil and degenerating.

Why'd he die?
I mean, cause of death?

Jaxon
11-06-2008, 07:13 PM
Lol, what a tosser. He's become An Hero and a meme though, so it's all good.

balmung5000
11-06-2008, 07:18 PM
freaking n00b
if he was really good at CoD 4
then he would have merked those
hunters

Kilik 64
11-07-2008, 06:40 PM
His son needed to develop a social life outside of game. The dad made the right call by taking the games away.

Ryuzoâ„¢
11-07-2008, 06:45 PM
Ok...I love X-Box Live and everything...but that is a little much...

I met a guy online in Halo 2 who had to be institutionalized for assaulting his own sister...irony at its best...

Shikamaru
11-08-2008, 03:57 AM
wow, what a complete bag of douche.

I would also like to know the cause of death, cuz im assuming suicide.

The Assassins Curse
11-08-2008, 06:06 AM
wow, what a complete bag of douche.

I would also like to know the cause of death, cuz im assuming suicide.

They never gave out the cause of death but we all know he was killed by his own stupidity.

kluang
11-08-2008, 06:32 AM
no matter what, they will be idiots thatill give gamers bad rep

shadow_moon
11-08-2008, 06:43 AM
he really love his x-box...

kluang
11-08-2008, 06:48 AM
he really loves bill gates.

jimmer45khb
11-08-2008, 06:50 AM
I laughed kid must have thought that if he ran his X-box would fallow him

akuryuken
11-11-2008, 04:16 AM
err i have a question how this kid was playing this game?(since the game is Mature and he was only 15) i know the kid was stupid but his father is kind of guilty for what happen.

P.S. i know some kids can play mature games and be normal(i did) but some retards like this kid cant. If this news was about a normal kid was sad but since this is An hero is lame.

Mizukage Hitsugaya 10
11-11-2008, 10:30 AM
And its idiots like that that give us gamers bad rep.

pretty much

The Assassins Curse
11-11-2008, 03:49 PM
They just released his cause of death. Apparently he fell out of a tree when he was sleeping.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh148/Fire_Ninja650/MicrosoftMotivationalPoster3.jpg?t=12264 36485

Teh Big One
11-11-2008, 04:24 PM
Lol. I like the Xbox ad right next to it.

emerald69
11-11-2008, 06:45 PM
A fitting end for a spoiled brat!!

I hate spoiled little children!! They should be scarred emotionally for their stubborness!!

You know, I hope YOU end up dead in a field. Then we'll see how YOU like it.

emerald69
11-11-2008, 06:48 PM
err i have a question how this kid was playing this game?(since the game is Mature and he was only 15)

What's that got to do with anything? I do all the time!!!

Teh Big One
11-11-2008, 06:53 PM

You reap what you sow. The kid ran away because he couldn't play xbox then died in a field for sleeping in a tree. He kind of had it coming.

Sounds cold and harsh, but whatever.

Oh, and beware the double post >.>

ShinobiKnight
11-11-2008, 07:08 PM

You're telling him he deserves to die because he said someone else deserves to die. So by your logic, you deserve to die. Way to be a hypocrite, unless you're willing to commit suicide.
And like Teh Big One said, refrain from double posting.
Edit: Also, it's probably wiser not to advertise the fact that you're 14.

On topic: I agree with Kilik 64 (and anyone who agreed with him, I only glanced over the replies). The dad wasn't in the wrong; the problems were all on the kid's end. It's right to discipline a disobedient child. It's wrong to freak out and run away when you get punished, especially over an Xbox, especially since you can just save up for a PS3 instead and get free online play.

@Assassin's Curse: Love the pic. +rep for the hell of it.

Edit: Remembered what I was going to say before. This is an extreme case. It shouldn't give gamers a bad rep any more than kids jumping off roofs trying to fly gives Superman a bad rep.

Teh Big One
11-11-2008, 07:44 PM
Edit: Remembered what I was going to say before. This is an extreme case. It shouldn't give gamers a bad rep any more than kids jumping off roofs trying to fly gives Superman a bad rep.

I'm just waiting for the next Jack Thompson to come up and pick up where good old Jack left off. I'm sure that no matter how extreme the case may be, its the video games fault.

Kilik 64
11-13-2008, 09:40 PM
So, now only wa the kid in the wrong, but he was also for stupid for sleeping in a tree. While it's terrible that he died, what possessed him to sleep in a tree in the first place is beyond me.

Mal
11-13-2008, 10:10 PM
What's that got to do with anything? I do all the time!!!

And look at what terrible arguments you make:

Wait, that's no argument! That's just stupid! The kid wasn't old enough to play M rated games, but he was certainly old enough that he should have known how stupid and immature it is to run away from home because of a little discipline.

I'm sure the parents are tearing themselves apart inside, but they really shouldn't. Unless they're tearing themselves apart over raising such a stupid kid, that they should be doing.

In conclusion: This kid was stupid enough to get himself killed when he should have known better, he deserved it.

The Assassins Curse
11-14-2008, 06:45 PM
Just a little update on the story

Video games' lure needs to be understood, says sad father

BARRIE, Ont. -- The father of Brandon Crisp, the teen who died after running away from home on Thanksgiving, said yesterday that families are living in a new world where children are less inclined than ever to play outside.

"Our generation, I don't think understands our kids. It's a new world that we live in," said Steve Crisp.

Fifteen-year-old Brandon disappeared on Thanksgiving Day after a fight with his parents over the amount of time he spent playing video games.

"As parents we need to understand that world a bit more and maybe take more time and understand why our kids are involved in that world so much," said Crisp, flanked by his wife and daughters. "And try to make them understand why, as parents, we find that hard to realize that they don't want to go outside and play sports and they'd rather be inside playing these games."

The boy's body was found on Nov. 5. Autopsy results showed he'd died after a fall from a tree.

Crisp said he's heard from parents across Canada and around the world who described having the same problem with relating to their teenage children.

"It's a problem that is everywhere," he said, choking back tears.

The Crisp family announced

this week that a foundation will be established in Brandon's name to help raise funds for underprivileged

children to play sports. An interim Brandon Crisp trust account has

been set up at a CIBC branch in Barrie but donations can be made at any of the bank's branches across the country.

Crisp described his son as a "funny kid" who got to live his short life to the fullest.

"I'm hoping he didn't suffer too long," Crisp said, adding his son once loved the outdoors.

A funeral is planned today in Barrie, 100 kilometres north of Toronto.

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/story.html?id=05d0f5ea-61f8-404e-9c49-81e861b057e7

balmung5000
11-14-2008, 06:47 PM
wait he dissapeared on thanksgiving
but he was found on nov 5th
how does that make sense

The Assassins Curse
11-14-2008, 06:49 PM
wait he dissapeared on thanksgiving
but he was found on nov 5th
how does that make sense

Canadian Thanksgiving

Mal