PDA

View Full Version : GM getting ready for bankruptcy

manta
06-01-2009, 01:43 AM
Car giant General Motors is expected to file for bankruptcy protection later on Monday, marking the biggest failure of an industrial company in US history.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8075818.stm

they made ugly cars anyway, except the mustang

Silverblade
06-01-2009, 01:50 AM
The end is near.:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Freshgrease
06-01-2009, 01:58 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8075818.stm

they made ugly cars anyway, except the mustangYou do realize that the Mustang has and always will be made by Ford (a completely separate company)? Ford refused bailout money, and such they won't suffer the bait-and-switch the feds did to GM.

If GM was smart, they would have not delayed the Camaro and Volt releases. There were reports that there were no shortage of preorders for Camaros, and there were people begging for this car. Had they released it, they wouldn't be in this predicament. I doubt, with the socialization of Obama's new car company, we will be seeing a Camaro (unless its a 140HP hybrid.)

OG
06-01-2009, 02:03 AM
^ i lol at that mustang comment too XD

GM's been in trouble for a LONG TIME, its bound to happen

Freshgrease
06-01-2009, 02:13 AM
All I can say is that I have had my truck (or atleast in the family) for 15 years, and we havn't had a car payment since 1999 on it. Only 115K miles, but old Chevy products are good. Cars keep getting shittier and shittier as the years go on as they try to increase profits.

manta
06-01-2009, 02:15 AM
yea my bad lol i meant the camaro doh anway its just that the new camaro looks similar so I just know about companies not much about cars.

Freshgrease
06-01-2009, 02:22 AM
It's ok. Ford, Chevy, and Dodge all have their sports cars. I didn't know what the Dodge Challenger was until my dad told me about how it looked similar to an old one.

I'm sold on getting an F150 (fricken sweet when I test drove one) after hearing GM took the fall. Cars are great, but trucks are more practical for my uses.

zer0systm
06-01-2009, 04:10 AM
i find it funny how GM is going under and yet the Australian subsidiary Holden is stronger than ever, i don't know how it goes over int he US but over here the main rivalry is between Holden and Ford, there are the V8 supercar race series which is only Holden Vs Ford, the rivalry is no as strong as it was 10 years ago with asian companies like Toyota, Mazda and Mitsubishi finally starting to compete with the 2 overlords of the Aus car market.

lol, im Aussie and i know the mustang is a Ford car..

Matthekage
06-01-2009, 04:23 AM
i find it funny how GM is going under and yet the Australian subsidiary Holden is stronger than ever, i don't know how it goes over int he US but over here the main rivalry is between Holden and Ford, there are the V8 supercar race series which is only Holden Vs Ford, the rivalry is no as strong as it was 10 years ago with asian companies like Toyota, Mazda and Mitsubishi finally starting to compete with the 2 overlords of the Aus car market.

lol, im Aussie and i know the mustang is a Ford car..
Yeah, Mitsubishi was right on the brink. They seem to be on their way back, with the new models. Especially, the new lancer. The evo X version looks pretty cool.

maddog
06-01-2009, 07:24 AM
@FG: F150 guzzles up too much gas though. but if gas prices are ok, F150 is a good buy.

as far as asian cars, i've always been loyal to Toyota (currently have a Vios). but i also admire Honda. hoping to have a CRV.

i guess the publicity given to Camaro by the movie Transformers was not enough to save GM...

Freshgrease
06-01-2009, 11:09 AM
If I could afford a Nissan 370Z I'd go get that. I fricken love those cars.

manta
06-01-2009, 11:11 AM
it doesnt matter if ur aussie japanese american w/e if some1 doesnt know about cars then they dont know all i know is some cars look good and honda, since where i live street racing is all about hondas

TheSixthHokage
06-01-2009, 11:20 AM
GM was caused by American protectionism since the 1950's in regards to delivering the North American market to the "Big Three," Ford, Chrysler and GM. Anyone who has analyzed this industry knows unlike Germany or Japan, America has not streamlined or modernized its production capacities as effectively, the American auto unions ask for way more than their competitors and these 3 companies haven't paid as muchattention to the global consumer. You reap what you sow.

zer0systm
06-01-2009, 11:35 AM
it doesnt matter if ur aussie japanese american w/e if some1 doesnt know about cars then they dont know all i know is some cars look good and honda, since where i live street racing is all about hondas

Cry Moar... .

kluang
06-01-2009, 11:53 AM
Seems bumblebee wasnt enough to save GM

Freshgrease
06-01-2009, 11:55 AM
He would have if Chevy would have sold the damn car.

Matthekage
06-01-2009, 12:19 PM
American car companies are in trouble because they don't built shit like this...

http://www.trustedlog.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/nissan-gtr-h.jpg

rokudaime_hokage
06-01-2009, 05:17 PM
the corvette zr1 would smoke that bitch in a second

Freshgrease
06-01-2009, 05:35 PM
Nissan GTR: ~$80k
Chevy ZR1 base: $106K
" " ZR1 max factory speced: $116K

yeah. You could buy a GTR and another decent luxury car for the same price, and your ZR1 would still suck because it is built by a company on it's deathbead. Daily driver and a super fast GTR makes more sense to me.

If you want to go fast, go buy a liter crotch rocket for $12K

kluang
06-01-2009, 05:59 PM
The good ol times when people accused Japanese cars manufacturer made their cars from MILO tins

rokudaime_hokage
06-02-2009, 01:51 AM
Nissan GTR: ~$80k
Chevy ZR1 base: $106K
" " ZR1 max factory speced: $116K

yeah. You could buy a GTR and another decent luxury car for the same price, and your ZR1 would still suck because it is built by a company on it's deathbead. Daily driver and a super fast GTR makes more sense to me.

If you want to go fast, go buy a liter crotch rocket for $12K

what the hell does the bolded has to do with the zr1 sucking?
and yes you could buy a gtr and a maxima (I own a '02 and i fucking love that car) for the price of a zr1, but the corvette would still smoke both of them. and that was my point after all. zr1's are for rich people anyway and GM is not on bankruptcy cuz rich people are not buying.

Matthekage
06-02-2009, 09:28 AM
the corvette would still smoke both of them. and that was my point after all. Until it needed to corner.

EDIT: Actually, I just had a look at the ZR1. That thing hammers. Not bad at all, and it corners.
Kudos. I stand corrected.

rokudaime_hokage
06-02-2009, 02:51 PM
i gotta say though, the gt-r was made to compete with the corvette z06 with are kinda like the same price, and yes the nissan is way better that the z06 in almost every aspect.

G
06-04-2009, 12:02 PM
GM? I ain't never broke.