PDA

View Full Version : Water on the Moon

Mal
09-25-2009, 02:59 PM
Forget that tired old image of the moon as a entirely dry locale, devoid of any moisture. A recent set of discoveries have found that not only is there water on Earth's sole satellite — but the water is everywhere.

Three papers appearing in the upcoming issue of Science Express outline the discovery of pervasive water found clinging to the surface of the moon. Infrared spectroscope measurements from three different space probes have detected absorptions that indicate the presence of water or hydroxyl (which is, itself, a strong indicator for the presence of water) on the the lunar surface, with one model suggesting water makes up a few tenths of a percent by weight in the optical surface. This water is apparently clinging to the moon's surface, rather than being absorbed by dust.

It's hardly a vast lake, and it won't yet support that lunar agricultural colony you've been dreaming of, but it's far more water than scientists ever expected to find on the moon, and it could prove a valuable resource to future lunar visitors. The researchers have also found that the concentration of water is higher toward the poles, lending credence to the theory that larger deposits of water exist near the poles, and researchers note that it's possible we'll continue to find wetter lunar regions in the future.

So where did all this water come from? Although meteors or comets may have periodically brought water to the moon, the prevailing theory among the three papers is that solar winds have carried hydrogen to the moon's surface, where it has bonded with the oxygen in the moon's own dust and produced water.
via io9 (http://io9.com/5366261/confirmed-there-is-water-on-the-moon-and-lots-of-it)Anyone else surprised?

kluang
10-10-2009, 08:20 AM
Did they found any bunnies?

Freshgrease
10-10-2009, 02:57 PM
All we need to do now is figure out how to make a suitable atmosphere for breathing air and terraform that hoe.

uchihademon91
10-15-2009, 01:10 AM
the moon wont become inhabitable.

it is very interesting that ice was found though. although it doesnt help in any way, still an interesting tidbit.

maybe they will find some micro-organisms there. now that would be something. the first aliens.

Mal
10-15-2009, 01:19 AM
the moon wont become inhabitable.Why ?

uchihademon91
10-15-2009, 02:03 AM
if you took a bunch of stuff from earth and placed it on the moon maybe. like a space station there with a heat source, oxygen source, and other life support systems.

but the moon itself lacks the capacity to hold a livable atmosphere.

Mal
10-15-2009, 03:00 AM
ADUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRcp as

uchihademon91
10-15-2009, 03:31 AM
ok.....

freshgrease said something about making a suitable atmosphere on the moon to make it inhabitable. the moon wont be able to hold an atmosphere.

so the moon wont be able to become inhabitable. you can make it artificially inhabitable, but the moon won't become genuinely inhabitable.

@ mal
if it was so obvious then why would you ask why??

zer0systm
10-15-2009, 10:29 AM
lol silly NASA, they're just looking at that crater i pissed in when I flew to the moon and had a piss stop on the way out to conquer the universe...

Mal
10-15-2009, 01:57 PM
Yo UD,

Nothing is impossible for SCIENCE!

balmung5000
10-15-2009, 02:03 PM
HOPEFULLY MOON PEOPLE
KNOW ROBOTICS
TO MAKING MY LIFE LONG GOAL
ONE STEP CLOSER

cpas

uchihademon91
10-16-2009, 12:07 AM
if we could create something that could..... create an immense gravitational field, that could hold in gases essential to survival then yeah we could live there. of course we would need other things, but that would be a must.

still it would be an artificial inhabitance. the moon will not become inhabitable by natural processes. unless it somehow beefs up its mass. alot.

nasa didnt discover the water on the moon. india's first mission to the moon and they find ice. the united states first mission to the moon and we left footprints and a flag. aint that a bitch. we went there and couldnt help but fuck it up by littering on that bitch and defacing it with footprints.

mewmew
10-16-2009, 12:13 AM
we're nowhere near gravity tech... we don't even understand gravity fully. the moon can gain atmosphere, but not to the point of habitability. the atmosphere will be very thin and will have a very short lifespan, due to gasses escaping out of its gravity field easily. as uchidemon said, artificial inhabitance is the only possibility as of now or in the near future.

uchihademon91
10-16-2009, 12:51 AM
fuck the moon we should live on mars..... all we need is some temperature control technology and we're good to go. but even that is a long ways away.

although bill gates and co invented something that has the capacity to prevent hurricanes or tsunamis..... i think its tsunamis. a machine that circulates the water shifting the temperatures of the ocean preventing a tsunami. its much more technical than that but thats the jist. oh ya..... first step towards a weather machine. every super villains dream

Mal
10-16-2009, 01:24 AM
You're all forgetting about SCIENCE!

uchihademon91
10-16-2009, 02:08 AM
ya....science..... mankinds greatest discovery..... because it utilizes mankinds greatest power.....the power of understanding.

still dont change the fact that any inhabitance on the moon that is brought on by science, will be an artificial inhabitance. it wont be an inhabitance brought by natural process.

but i guess an inhabitance on the moon brought on by science could, in a sense, be considered as an inhabitance brought on by natural process. if you think about it im sure you'll understand what i mean by that.

why would you wanna live on the moon anyway...... fuck the moon. now mars, thats where we should be putting our focus on moving.

Mal
10-16-2009, 07:33 AM
Mankind did not discover SCIENCE, SCIENCE discovered Mankind.

Aside: No one said that inhabitance of the moon would be "natural".

kluang
10-16-2009, 07:44 AM
like elvis?

zer0systm
10-16-2009, 12:43 PM
pretty sure i made it clear i had already been to the moon and conqured it... and pissed a crater which was the cause of this thread in the first plc...

lulzski's