Fandom Forums

Fandom Forums (http://www.fandom.com/forums//index.php)
-   World News (http://www.fandom.com/forums//forumdisplay.php?f=169)
-   -   Man ties up child for video games sake. (http://www.fandom.com/forums//showthread.php?t=198691)

Axiom 05-25-2012 12:29 PM

Man ties up child for video games sake.

Yeah, so here's a lovely piece of lunch break news for you. This idiot ties up someone's 4 year old daughter, in order to have a day of hassle free gaming. Apparently the incident didn't even phase the mother, as she made no move to free her bound child. Presumably this is a normal scene for her to come home and see?

Geek parents and/or guardians, often miss what I consider to be a stellar opportunity presented by having young children around. You get to play with toys and shit without looking like a complete dink in front of the Mrs. Can't count how many hours I lost with my daughter over a box of LEGOs'.

We(I) were totally hoping that Firefly-Serenity Lego play set would become a reality.

ACt 05-25-2012 12:48 PM

Re: Man ties up child for video games sake.

What an idiot. You hand your four year old the other controller turned off and say "you're helping".

Axiom 05-25-2012 02:33 PM

Not the most constructive solution, but as temp fixes go, it's light years better then that douche bags method.

Spiegel 05-25-2012 02:47 PM

And this is why some people shouldn't procreate and another reason to give to others why video games are bad. Fucking stupid people.

If he didn't want to be bothered then why not get her a DS or something to keep herself distracted while he played? Would have been a more reasonable solution than tying her up.

ACt 05-26-2012 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axiom (Post 2109967)
Not the most constructive solution, but as temp fixes go, it's light years better then that douche bags method.

How is that not constructive? Keeps the kid focused on the game, not me, through which they learn strategy, reflex timing (as they try to hit the buttons to react to what is going on) and I'm quite good at talking while playing, so we can discuss the game, what we like, what's for dinner etc.

Quality. Time.

Later, we can go pick out a spot for my future "World's Best Dad" award shelf to go.

Axiom 05-26-2012 03:19 PM

Hmmm. Think I can see where this is heading. Doubt I'll be able to dissuade you but it's worth a go.

The "learn strategy, reflex timing" thing doesn't really hold water in this context. Handing over a switched off controller won't provide any of that. It's more akin to: here hold this, sit there, and do nothing. While I, sit here, and do slightly more than nothing. Not really quality time. Besides that though, it's not constructive because even a four year old won't take long in realizing that there is zero consequence to the buttons being pressed.

Don't understand what stimulus you foresee coming from mashing at a controller to no end, other than what you added about discussing whats happening. And it's not that I'm against kids playing video games and all. Far from it. There are plenty of titles available that provides what you mention and also allows the opportunity for meaningful cooperative interaction. Many of which offer actual educational benefits. So, it's not like I'm trying to begrudge gaming parents.

Can't really point towards a proven case study on the subject. Admittedly, and unfortunately, it's just personal and unquantifiable experience. From which I have gathered, that a kid will look for not only activities that provide appreciable results, but ones for which they can interact with others.

You don't have to be the "Worlds Best Dad" in order to not be a shitty one. And not you necessarily, but before someone comes out with the parent/not a parent thing. I am not so dense as to think you have to had actually reared a child in order to know anything about it. That's just foolish.

Shrike 05-26-2012 05:17 PM

Moron. But, I do think that video games are a very touchy subject. I myself can say that as much as video games contributed to some positive things which I as a person hold today, there are as much (or more) negatives. I am absolutely positive that 85% of my laziness and disinterest in many things are a product of video games. More on the subject when I am rested. I've been working like hell for the past few weeks and didn't sleep much. Sunday tomorrow fuck yeah.

xxMESTxx 05-27-2012 08:21 PM

Am I the only one that's curious as to what game was so important for him to play?

This is how it starts, next time the headline will read something like "Daughter brutally murders Father in his sleep".

This may be more common than people think though. I had an old room mate who's girlfriend had a kid. I used to always come home and see this 3-4 year old girl strapped in a baby's car seat so that she was unable to really move much, while my room mate and his girl would watch a movie, be going at it in the bedroom, ect. I used to trip on that shit all the time. Sadly I couldn't really do much to stop it other than unbuckle the kid whenever they weren't looking, and bitch at them trying to put her in it. Don't really know how those people turned out, but am still waiting for their names in the obituary's.

ACt 05-27-2012 09:22 PM

Axiom - you being serious here?

UchihaTaijiya 05-29-2012 04:38 AM

My initial reaction was, "Had to be fucked on crank."

But who is really surprised that drugs aren't mentioned?

Not this cynical cunt.

-SassyLady- 05-29-2012 01:47 PM

Some people shouldn't really be parents nor classified as such.