Fandom Forums

Fandom Forums (http://www.fandom.com/forums//index.php)
-   One Piece Manga (http://www.fandom.com/forums//forumdisplay.php?f=191)
-   -   One piece 697 (http://www.fandom.com/forums//showthread.php?t=205301)

Dagoro 01-30-2013 05:51 AM

One piece 697

http://www.mangapanda.com/one-piece/697/3

Enjoy.

Most of the chapter was pointless, we don't need to spend so many pages on goodbyes. So Kaidou is not a human, interesting. Law basically wants the marines to come down on Dfla with everything they have. The guy is a known human traffic king pin and who knows what other dirt the Marines have on him, and on top of that Kaidou would aim for his ass too.

Maybe Law is planning on using Dfla to weaken Kaidou allowing his alliance to take him down ?

Anyway, meh chapter overall due to the pages wasted on goodbyes.

Shrike 01-30-2013 06:28 AM

Re: One piece 697

Well this is... disappointing. Most of the chapter was boring as fuck, I didn't even read some of the text when kids started talking about how they wanted to be pirates and shit, ugh. I know Oda is a perfectionist but come on.

Doflamingo's hype died down a lot this chapter. He was depicted before as someone who does whatever he wants, similar to the Yonkou, even in the face of the WG and he wasn't as much as scratched through the whole Marineford war, just like Mihawk. I didn't expect fucking Law to make him almost fucking shake. Kaidou's superiority was already established (and no, it doesn't matter that he is a Yonkou) over Doflamingo, and that is pretty shit. The guy hasn't even been introduced yet and we had so many appearances of Doflamingo before. Pretty bad writing.

apacolypz 01-30-2013 06:36 AM

interesting turn of events..Dofla is being cornered and Kaidou will bring down the hammer on Law, Sh's and Dofla. Law is also one crazy dude who has supreme goals. He is royal but what is his long term goal? To rid this age of the useless trash that has been governing the top? I thought at first the barrel there on the floater was filled with dynamite..

http://www.mangapanda.com/one-piece/697/17

but nothing happened?!

Numinous 01-30-2013 06:40 AM

Got to agree on Shrike on the point of Doflamingo's character taking a punch in this chapter. He was written until now as a kingpin figure who did stuff for the lolz and didn't care the least for the consequences and now Law makes him tremble like jelly when threatened by the consequences?! The chapter would be salvageable if Doflamingo just laughed at Kid but no, he had to snap.

A surprisingly bad chapter for Oda this week.

Quote:

I thought at first the barrel there on the floater was filled with dynamite..

http://www.mangapanda.com/one-piece/697/17

but nothing happened?!
Look at the bottom right corner. Doflamingo simply stomped on that barrel, preventing it from exploding.

apacolypz 01-30-2013 06:52 AM

Look at the bottom right corner. Doflamingo simply stomped on that barrel, preventing it from exploding.[/QUOTE]

Thanks man I can't believe I missed that!

Dagoro 01-30-2013 07:11 AM

I don't see anything wrong with how Dfla acted. Is he a G ? Yes, however he is still a criminal at the end of the day and he depends on a carefully maintained balance of partnerships to remain afloat. Law just pulled the rug from under his feet big time. He has 3 choices now:

Get killed by the Navy
Get killed by Kaidou
Find Law and the SHs and attack them with everything he has in order to retrieve CC and restore things to their original flow

I think he will opt for number 3 since he is pretty pissed right now. Needless to say Law has him by the balls.

Numinous 01-30-2013 07:30 AM

Dagoro, you're forgetting an aspect of Doflamingo's characterization: he's careless in the sense that he doesn't give a fuck about what he's doing and even when he loses his advantage, he simply brushes it off with a smile and/or a laugh and thinks of something else.

Sure, Law already took the smile off Doflamingo's face before, but that was for Law's hype. This chapter, on the other hand, already has Law hype by having Doflamingo by the balls. What I take issue with is with Doflamingo's reaction to said ball holding, it's completely out of character. The most Doflamingo should be doing is nervously laugh Law's blackmail away, not snap like a twig.

Dagoro 01-30-2013 09:13 AM

You can't analyze his character based on the few showings he had. Until now we've only seen Dfla in situations were the events at hand didn't challenge him in anyway. Now the walls are closing in around him and we will see how he handles himself under pressure. That gives him depth, which I appreciate more than 1 dimensional traits and repeating shticks.

-SassyLady- 01-30-2013 09:31 AM

Kids goodbye were sweet but not really something I was an anxiously waiting for to read, but figured Law would negotiate to have Dfla step down. It's an ok chapter, not too good yet not too bad.

Shrike 01-30-2013 09:55 AM

I don't think DD is OOC, I just find it disappointing that it's so easy to grab him by the balls and make him worried. I mean, any powerful character could have got CC without a sweat.

We will see how Dofla takes this. Going by my interpretation of the character (and I love inventing and writing about such characters), his pride won't let him step down as a Shici and he will me really pissed and head directly for Law. In my mind, he won't negotiate shit.

His crew was so far very underwhelming. If Doflamingo and the Donquixote pirates don't step up and ruin someone's shit, that will be the biggest disappointment this manga would have to offer me.

Edit: What was the point of Doflamingo saying that he doesn't give a shit about WG and that he will quit the Shici if he feels like it before? The big shots didn't intimidate him, but now he is afraid of the admirals coming for him? I mean, it's not like he shouldn't be, those guys would ruin pretty much anyone's shit, but I just don't get him.

Dagoro 01-30-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

I just find it disappointing that it's so easy to grab him by the balls and make him worried.
Law planned this for a long time, it was his reason for joining the SB. He also use the element of surprise to get the jump on Dfla which rendered him unable to respond properly.

Quote:

His crew was so far very underwhelming. If Doflamingo and the Donquixote pirates don't step up and ruin someone's shit, that will be the biggest disappointment this manga would have to offer me.
Think back to Baroque works. The 5 lower couples were no challenge to the SHs, the top 5 put them through the grinder. I bet something similar will happen here, that masked dude with the top hat looks pretty strong.

Shrike 01-30-2013 10:11 AM

I know, it's just that I don't want to know definitely who is above whom here, and it's obvious that Doflamingo is inferior to Kaido. And before you say that it should be obvious, no, it shouldn't. The warlords have been said to be one of the three powers. Mihawk is obviously Yonkou level, but he doesn't have a crew and he isn't going for the PK, but that doesn't mean that he is weaker just because someone holds the title of the Younkou. I was thinking that Doflamingo is the same and that we could expect pretty much everything.

I just dislike that we had much more insight into his character for these 700 chapters and he will still be weaker then Kaido who never even showed his face, let alone did something in the series.

I might be butthurt because my favorite character got it badly this chapter (though I doubt it, I never play favorites, especially when writing), it just didn't sit well with me. Law having a 'plan' doesn't mean much so far, anyone could have done this with little to no planning at all. Just because he know of the business that was happening on PH doesn't mean that anyone with a dent of gray mass wouldn't do the same with the same info if he/she wanted to challenge an Emperor.

The point is, if Doflamingo doesn't step up in some real big way, I will be disappointed a lot more then I already am.

Dagoro 01-30-2013 10:25 AM

Quote:

it just didn't sit well with me. Law having a 'plan' doesn't mean much so far, anyone could have done this with little to no planning at all.
Seriously ? Lol, come on bro that is just silly.

Quote:

Just because he know of the business that was happening on PH doesn't mean that anyone with a dent of gray mass wouldn't do the same with the same info if he/she wanted to challenge an Emperor.
You need to stop and think for a second. This plan was feasible for Law because he was once part of Dfla's crew giving him an insider position into Dfla's dealings which is why his plan was so effective. His position of SB and his powers also allowed him to strike a deal with CC, he did fix some of his subordinates along with giving up his heart. Luck also played a part on the whole thing with the SHs and G5 showing up on the island. Had Law been alone when Vergo showed up he would be dead right now.

So no, not just anyone could have pulled this off.

Quote:

And before you say that it should be obvious, no, it shouldn't. The warlords have been said to be one of the three powers. Mihawk is obviously Yonkou level, but he doesn't have a crew and he isn't going for the PK, but that doesn't mean that he is weaker just because someone holds the title of the Younkou. I was thinking that Doflamingo is the same and that we could expect pretty much everything.
You obviously over hyped Dfla in your mind. Also power levels are pure conjecture until we see some action. Is Dfla weak ? No. Yonkou level ? The only Yonkou we've seen fight is WB and she shits on Dfla up, down and sideways.

Shrike 01-30-2013 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dagoro (Post 2134101)
Seriously ? Lol, come on bro that is just silly.

I said so far. He didn't do much that any person with the info that he has wouldn't have done.

Quote:

You need to stop and think for a second. This plan was feasible for Law because he was once part of Dfla's crew giving him an insider position into Dfla's dealings which is why his plan was so effective. His position of SB and his powers also allowed him to strike a deal with CC, he did fix some of his subordinates along with giving up his heart. Luck also played a part on the whole thing with the SHs and G5 showing up on the island. Had Law been alone when Vergo showed up he would be dead right now.

I know, that's why I said with the info that he has. Obviously, his info means a great deal, but he still doesn't know a lot. As Vergo said, not knowing Joker's past will be the end of him, and I hope that it will.

Quote:

You obviously over hyped Dfla in your mind. Also power levels are pure conjecture until we see some action.

If I did overhype him, then Oda did not give us a good picture, plot wise. There is no point in saving Doflamingo for the time when SNs dance with the Emperors if he is no real threat. I am not really big on reading about people like CC and battles which happened on PH or FI. Basically, a lot of suspense built up for nothing because the opponents were basically fodder for the main characters (except for Vergo, but he fell in one hit too, which was pretty horrible). Now, if Doflamingo isn't a real threat, then he should have been dealt with before. Would be nonsensical if he was weaker then any of the WB commanders too. Even Marco.

There are a lot more 'good guys' now then before. Aokiji, Garp and Sengoku aren't marines anymore, so basically Aokiji isn't the threat that he used to be. WB commanders wouldn't do anything but support Luffy because the old man wished it during the battle.

The NW so far has been easy for the SNs, it's time for them to learn their place for a bit, don't you agree? Else, it would be just plain bad writing. And that someone I was hoping will be Dofla and the Emperors. Though I honestly don't care about the characters which are yet to be introduced but are real powerful, like Kaido and especially BM. I just don't care for her. That's why I wanted Dofla to be around their level. Sure they would be more powerful as a crew, but one on one, I expected him to be around their level.

Dagoro 01-30-2013 10:44 AM

Patience, this is the second arc of the NW and the foundation for what is to come. Shit didn't hit the fan in the first half of the GL until Alabasta, this is following a trend. Dfla will be a beast, this is the guy tat managed to put the brakes on Jozu, a dude with enough physical strength to rip an iceberg out of the ground and toss it like a beach ball.

The man is pissed, he has some scary looking subordinates left and possibly other resources in the form of connections to the WG and other shady characters. He won't go down without ripping chunks out of the SHs and Heart pirates.