Fandom Forums

Fandom Forums (http://www.fandom.com/forums//index.php)
-   Movies & Television (http://www.fandom.com/forums//forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Doctor Who (http://www.fandom.com/forums//showthread.php?t=205486)

Spiegel 09-24-2013 09:30 PM

Doctor Who

Who watches this show? I hear good things about and see that it's gaining a lot of popularity. Just want to note if its worth it.

ask me anything 09-24-2013 09:52 PM

Re: Doctor Who

You've never seen Doctor Who? For shame.

I mean if you like sci-fi shows then yeah it's good...most of the time. It's nothing to take serious though. It's basically one notch above your typical sitcom with a dash of melodrama and aliens mixed in for good measure.

Oh, and the main character "the doctor" is basically an adventure junky with a serious side that comes out every now and then.

OG 09-25-2013 12:20 PM

do ittttttttttt

Konnaha_yellow_flash 09-25-2013 12:43 PM

I ran out of ambien, thus lost interest... But still worth checking out iMO...

Spiegel 10-13-2013 06:33 PM

A little over half way through the second season and I must say it's an enjoyable series. I've never really watched much sci-fi but this show I managed to get hooked on.

Spiegel 12-19-2013 07:25 PM

Update: I am an official fan of this series. Freaking brilliant (even though it has massive amounts of dues ex machina and Steven Moffat's constant canon reversals)!

ask me anything 12-19-2013 07:40 PM

Are you caught up? If not what season and episode are you currently on?

kael03 12-19-2013 09:40 PM

I'm impatiently waiting for next week's Christmas special

ask me anything 12-20-2013 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kael03 (Post 2140850)
I'm impatiently waiting for next week's Christmas special

Me as well. What did you think of the "Day of the Doctor" special they just released? That shit was good and all, but raised still more questions.

Did the Timelock never actually happen in the first place? It seems like with the previous doctors losing their memories after the whole event, then the John Hurt Doctor would have went back to his timeline not knowing what had previously transpired, and upon seeing Gallifrey gone, just assumed the timelock had worked! That means the death of all those billions he's been blaming himself over for 400+ years never actually happened to begin with. It also means that when The Master tried to summon Gallifrey 4 or 5 seasons ago, it wasn't from any timelock, but rather from the picture cube dimension they had stored it in! Now how (and why) is the Doctor going to go look for his home world in order to restore it, when it was lready pointed out for some time now, that the Timelord Senate is a bunch of evil douches, twisted into darkness by their countless years of war against the Daleks and other creatures. It seems like unleashing Gallifrey at this point would be a very very bad idea.

Also what the fuck is up with that old doctor at the end? He said the doctor would go back latter in his life and "revisit" some of his old forms. From the way he said that and the context of the situation, I assume he meant he (the doctor) would in some of his future regenerations go back and reuse some of his old forms. The problem with this, is that the Doctor is already on his 12th form, and his 13th, and supposedly last form has already been revealed (I much approve of it by the way). So where are these bonus lives coming from?

kael03 12-26-2013 03:11 PM

The new doctor doesn't like the color of his kidneys, apparently.

ask me anything 12-26-2013 09:09 PM

Wut?.......

kael03 12-26-2013 09:32 PM

Watch the Christmas special and you'll understand.

ask me anything 12-29-2013 06:11 PM

Good stuff. I liked his speech at the end about people always changing throughout there lives. Hardly original, but well delivered all the same.

"Do you know how to pilot this thing." Shit had me in stitches.

kael03 12-29-2013 06:47 PM

At least it answered the question about the half regeneration with the 10th doctor.

ask me anything 12-29-2013 10:49 PM

It could have been done a bit different IMO. Like when the Doctor's little Cyberman friend died near the end, and gave him the final message about fixing the telephone. I thought for sure the Doctor would have come to the brilliant conclusion of patching the phone through the Tardis's main core, and sending a message of his own back through the crack to the timelords on the other side. Explain the situation and how dalek fleets were literally waiting to annihilate them if they came through, get a fix on their location in the alternate dimension they're in, and tell them he'll look for another weak spot somewhere in his universe to get them out from in a bit more discrete manor. Then they just turn their message off. See, all problems solved. Doctor eventually gets his people back (later), the residents don't have to die, and evil assholes everywhere have no reason to annihilate that planet anymore. Anticlimatic to be sure, but WAY more logical.

Additionally, once the Daleks broke the peace and everyone started invading the planet, what exactly was the disincentive for the Doctor to not just summon the Time Lords back? Seems like keeping the "status quo" was the only thing really stopping him to begin with, and once the Daleks, Cybermen, Weeping Angels (and other nefarious groups) threw peace out the window, the Doctor had nothing stopping him. He should have been like "Meh, I thought you guys knew better than to cross me?! Now you got to deal with a few billion of my people for your transgressions!!!".

/fuck yeah