Fandom Forums

Fandom Forums (http://www.fandom.com/forums//index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.fandom.com/forums//forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Harry Potter vs. Christianity (http://www.fandom.com/forums//showthread.php?t=20658)

Narutobaka8623 09-04-2006 02:12 AM

Harry Potter vs. Christianity

Okay, well first off please don't flame, spam, or send exploding notes via email or personal tells because I put a Harry Potter question in a Naruto forum.:o
But I would like to know exactly why some members of the Christain faith are against Harry Potter and believe it to be evil incarnate?

If we want to be technical about the storyline I could say that Harry Potter is a book about an orphaned boy who's been rescued from persecution and oppression at the hands of the only family left to him, to go on and be introduced into a world full of magic. Each book is an introduction to a new term at the wizarding school that Harry attends(Hogwarts) and the new people and problems that go with it. Besides having such creatures like unicorns, mermaids, ghosts, centaurs, goblins, three headed dogs, and dragons, the book is full of humans that posess the ability to cast magic(witches and wizards). Harry's nemesis in the book is the most feared wizard in the world(Voldemort), who we find out was the one who kills Harry's parents and gives him the infamous scar on his forehead.

These books are great to read and I enjoy sharing them with my son and daughter. My problem is that the churchgoers feel that they must protest against it and some even go as far as to say that the devil created it. If these get my son to stop sitting in front of the tv long enough, I'm all for them(this summer he discovered the Naruto manga)! And last time I checked the books were a good use of an english mother's imagination, which God gave us. So what seems to be the problem?

Miburo 09-04-2006 02:42 AM

Re: Harry Potter vs. Christianity

Honestly, I'm not too sure myself. It probably has something to do with witchcraft being evil because it could fall under the category of "Dark Arts." I've also read that the witchcraft in the has some similarities with a religion known as Wicca, but I don't see how they can justify banning something because it shares similarities with a differing religion. That'd be pretty silly, no?

I really don't see the need for the protests and wish to ban the book though. If it's something they don't want their children to read because it would expose their children to different religions that they don't find appropriate for whatever reason, then that's fine. There's a simple solution to that: Don't buy your kids those books. No need for the holy crusades, just don't let your kids read them.

You posed a good question though, I'd be interested in the responces supporting the anti-Potter stance. I highly doubt there's any justifiable reason to suggest these books be banned though, so I wouldn't worry too much about that (Though you never know, stupid people in large groups can unfortunately make things happen every now and then. >.<). If you've read these books and found nothing wrong with them, then screw those anti-potter tards and keep giving your kids reading material that they enjoy. : )

kluang 09-04-2006 03:27 AM

You got 2 kids?????

Well mainly because Harry Potter is a...................

WITCH!!!! And since many so called witches were burn.... Saleem incident...

They were burn because magic is baaaad. Witch and Wizard is baaad.

So Those folk thinks witch is bad, magic is bad, Harry is also a bad boy. ANd the book is a bad book.

I don't think HP books has chapters like, HOW TO SUMMON A S-RANK DEMON.

HP is a nice book. Nice movie.

Narutobaka8623 09-04-2006 03:38 AM

Well, Wicca is a pagan belief, that much I know that deals with nature. Isn't the word witch come from wicca, or no? I can understand from that standpoint. Okay, it's pagan and we don't like pagan. Got it.

The ones that frustrate me are the ones that go on the Harry Potter sites themselves and start the internet version of a tongue lashing and strike out at fans saying that they're bad people and how can they possibly read these terrible things? Don't they know this is against God!?!

I mean, I was raised a protestant. I've gone to bible schools and know the 10 commandments and the golden rule. But nowhere in the commandments does it say I shall not do witchcraft! There is no, thou shall not ride a broomstick or cast spells!

The story is a work of fiction that brings the joy of reading to our kids. One of the biggest problems in schools right now is the literacy levels of the children attending! And the kids should not have to pay for that simply because some people have it in their minds that it's against the basis of their religion. If God created everything on this Earth, than that means he helped create Harry Potter and bring it into fruition. God also created and gave us an imagination. In this case, I feel some people's imagination's have run off with them when it comes to looking at this through a religious standpoint.

Rhi 09-05-2006 01:07 AM

ok so heres what i think: im a christian and so far ive read all of the HP bks and i know that my friends [also christians] read them too.

the only thing that some churches may have against the bks is the witchcraft and wizardriy thats all coz i know that when i was asked about what my name ment 'rhiannon=white witch' everyone at my youth group went funny but they still respect me for who i am they just shorten my name to 'Rhi' which i prefer.

thats all i think but it really depends on the church, The Salvation Army are excellent give them a try, go to your local worship centre and see, i've found they non-judgemental and all and they're really good with youth you dont have to but if you and your children are being judged because they like HP give them a try.

flareofdragon 09-05-2006 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Narutobaka8623 (Post 735716)
The ones that frustrate me are the ones that go on the Harry Potter sites themselves and start the internet version of a tongue lashing and strike out at fans saying that they're bad people and how can they possibly read these terrible things? Don't they know this is against God!?!

Uhm, to be honest, those who try to signify what is and isn't against god probably does not know what they are talking about. Most of that is political residue from a while back.

Fubukimaru Yukishimo 09-06-2006 08:18 AM

Witchcraft AKA magic is considered to be a gift from Satan. No matter who uses it for whatever reasons, it's evil. Also, they're probably against it because Rowling doesn't make statements about Harry being a devout Catholic or anything.

ShinobiKnight 09-07-2006 03:49 PM

I'm going to make this simple: yes, Harry Potter has some concepts which are against Christianity. But people constantly fail to see that these books are FICTION. I'd understand their position if the books advertised pagan religions, but they're simply made-up adventures in a made-up place created to amuse children. No part of any of the six books should be taken seriously. The people who think HP should be banned obviously don't get out much.

Ninja48 09-07-2006 03:57 PM

Harry Potter is blasphemy! Oh lord, there's witchcraft, which is SATANIC. They do spells and things, which are also SATANIC. And. And they share wands! Homosexuality is SATANIC.

/MASSIVE SARCASM TAG, BEFORE PEOPLE YELL AT ME.

Narutobaka8623 09-07-2006 04:43 PM

Thanks all for answering my question in the past couple days. Was unable to get access the site for the past couple of days.

Anyhow, most of the answers have come up as being because of witchcraft supposedly coming from the devil. And to look at that technically, yes, I could understand their position, but once again, it's just those few couple of people that just can't or don't want to accept the Potter series as just being a good source of fiction.

I asked this here simply becasue if you try and ask about it on any of the Potter sites, you get into trouble, which to me is just kinda dumb. Thanks again.

Cerberus III 09-08-2006 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kluang (Post 735705)
You got 2 kids?????

Well mainly because Harry Potter is a...................

WITCH!!!! And since many so called witches were burn.... Saleem incident...

They were burn because magic is baaaad. Witch and Wizard is baaad.

So Those folk thinks witch is bad, magic is bad, Harry is also a bad boy. ANd the book is a bad book.

I don't think HP books has chapters like, HOW TO SUMMON A S-RANK DEMON.

HP is a nice book. Nice movie.

It's not that magic is bad, it's a matter of how it was used. If it was used mainly for evil practice, then yes, magic is malevolent.

Sakuralover26 09-08-2006 11:54 PM

Magic didn't hurt anybody! Why do the Cristians have such a big thing about magic? The world may NEVER know! :confused: Oh well, Harry Potter is cool though.

Kekkei Genkai 09-09-2006 02:21 AM

Well, think about it. Christianity has been changed over the years by many people. And probably something about magic angered one of those people who was in the Holy Roman Catholic Church. And other branches of well known Christianity came from it. Well, they say that if magic is from Satan, then what did Jesus and his disciples do. Miracles. It's just a difference of words. I don't see how magic is supposed to be bad. There can be good spells right? They can't exactly be called miracles because God Himself didn't do it but still, if this Satanic "magic" is bad, can't evil things be used for good? I enjoy reading HP and so do all my friends and we are all Christians and we see nothing wrong with HP. Yes, a lot of the spells used in HP can be considered evil and Satanic but what about the good and helpful spells? Is that considered evil? It's using evil to do good. Ever heard of good things for evil? Well, opposite. For those Christians who oppose everything under the name of magic and wizardry. And oppose even good spells supposedly by the devil. What about all those serial killers and evil people that missionaries have converted into Christians and now they preach the good word. Well, why can't spells be the same way. Bad things gone good to help other good things. Do you oppose that? Think about it. And also, another note, HP is fictional. Not real. Ok? Don't get too worked up about it. And, someone mentioned homosexual in HP. Well, where does it mention that in HP. Hmm? Where. When you said they share wands. Well, do you share something with someone else? Do you share a house or car with someone? Do you share the same TV or the couch? Well, if I were you, then I would call you a homosexual and that's evil. Look, how can you be homosexual by using the same object. It's a wand. A wand is an object. It doesn't talk, or walk or anything. It's a tool. They share tools. Have anything to say to that?

Sakuralover26 09-09-2006 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kekkei Genkai (Post 738223)
Well, think about it. Christianity has been changed over the years by many people. And probably something about magic angered one of those people who was in the Holy Roman Catholic Church. And other branches of well known Christianity came from it. Well, they say that if magic is from Satan, then what did Jesus and his disciples do. Miracles. It's just a difference of words. I don't see how magic is supposed to be bad. There can be good spells right? They can't exactly be called miracles because God Himself didn't do it but still, if this Satanic "magic" is bad, can't evil things be used for good? I enjoy reading HP and so do all my friends and we are all Christians and we see nothing wrong with HP. Yes, a lot of the spells used in HP can be considered evil and Satanic but what about the good and helpful spells? Is that considered evil? It's using evil to do good. Ever heard of good things for evil? Well, opposite. For those Christians who oppose everything under the name of magic and wizardry. And oppose even good spells supposedly by the devil. What about all those serial killers and evil people that missionaries have converted into Christians and now they preach the good word. Well, why can't spells be the same way. Bad things gone good to help other good things. Do you oppose that? Think about it. And also, another note, HP is fictional. Not real. Ok? Don't get too worked up about it. And, someone mentioned homosexual in HP. Well, where does it mention that in HP. Hmm? Where. When you said they share wands. Well, do you share something with someone else? Do you share a house or car with someone? Do you share the same TV or the couch? Well, if I were you, then I would call you a homosexual and that's evil. Look, how can you be homosexual by using the same object. It's a wand. A wand is an object. It doesn't talk, or walk or anything. It's a tool. They share tools. Have anything to say to that?

Well, now that ou say that, it seems perfectly understandable why Christians would view magic as "evil", or Satan's doing. But between God's miracles and this so called "Satan's work" have much in common. I mean, if Christians are lead to believe their miracles are blessings and magic is the work of evil, then, what IS magic? Basically, God's miracles and magic are the same thing, right? Basically anway.

YoshiToshi 09-09-2006 06:44 PM

I myself am a Christian, and while I myself think that Harry Potter is a pretty good series, I also agree that I shouldn't and wouldn't watch the movies or read the stories; because it's "of the devil" or whatever.
It's flat out sorcery and magic, and Christians like myself believe that it is not right to watch or read such a thing. Because it is ungodly.

Some Christians will not even let their children watch "That's So Raven" because the fact that Raven is a psychic. Even anime is a big "of the devil" to christians. Some think that Yugioh, Pokemon, Digimon, and anything supernatural is ungodly, of the devil, and will invite spirits into their homes.

Other Christians on the other hand, do not believe such a thing, because they do not believe in "The Holy Spirit" and don't take such a thing so seriously. That's a basic explanation of my understanding, anyways.