Fandom Forums

Fandom Forums (http://www.fandom.com/forums//index.php)
-   Computers (http://www.fandom.com/forums//forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   USB memory stick problem!!! HELP NEEDED!!! (http://www.fandom.com/forums//showthread.php?t=31107)

pyro_flame22 08-01-2007 02:14 AM

USB memory stick problem!!! HELP NEEDED!!!

Hey all,

I have a problem wif my USB memory stick, especially when I try to use it. The problem is; when I put the memory stick into the USB port, the light is on but i'm unable to access the files on the memory stick. Maybe the USB memory stick is dead but im not sure.

Can someone help me out????

Swtvi3tboi08 08-01-2007 06:16 AM

Re: USB memory stick problem!!! HELP NEEDED!!!

i have had that happend to my old usb a lot. keep unplugging and plugging it until it works. it usually works 3-5 try.

gibigbig 08-01-2007 02:57 PM

yup, its possible for a flash drive to crash and just give gay errors, i had this happen to a few of mines. its a big possibility that the thing is busted or it may jus have permission issues cuz u said u cant access it. did u install a new OS recently, i heard that some usb drives encrypts data as soon as it is stored to prevent abuse but that the really new kinds :p so if u installed a new OS, the drive thinks thats it a new pc and will not allow access...kool huh

DarkAztek 08-01-2007 07:22 PM

Here's the deal: Does the computer you're using it on have the drivers installed to use it? Not all flash drives are recognized right away and they sometimes need the internet to install them.

How old is the drive and when did the problem first start?

Hiraku 08-01-2007 07:37 PM

maybe you have not taken the lock of your usb and that is why its not letting you access it. Second it may be that your memory stick is not compatible with the drive on your computer.

Third maybe your usb drive stick may have a corrupted file on it.

gibigbig 08-01-2007 11:46 PM

actually darkaztec, xp and vista come with built in drivers for removable disks. i really doubt a flash drive will need software

pyro_flame22 08-02-2007 02:25 AM

I didnt install a new OS on the computer, although I installed a DVD writer a couple of months ago. The DVD writer works and the other USB sticks i have work. It just started happening yesterday. I've had the USB stick for almost a year and half.

Tsuna 08-02-2007 02:45 AM

It's called a flash drive, not a "stick".

And check to see if you have the lock on.

Medi08 08-02-2007 10:04 AM

This same thing happened to me. There isn't much you can do. I would keep unplugging it and pluging it back in to see if you can retrieve your files. It's gotta go to the trash. I lost everything I had on mine.

The plugging it in repeadtedly worked a few times, but then it erased all of my files, so get your stuff while you can and if you can't get it... well... you can't get it. Sorry.

OffTheChain 08-02-2007 01:51 PM

Unplug it and stick it in the other hole?
I'm no computer expert, but that works for me.

pyro_flame22 08-02-2007 02:48 PM

Thanks guys I'll try ur solutions and hopefully i can get my files off the usb flash drive:)

DarkAztek 08-02-2007 04:53 PM

Quote:

actually darkaztec, xp and vista come with built in drivers for removable disks. i really doubt a flash drive will need software
Not all dongles have their drivers built in. A number of them might use a special kind of software. I have one that makes things a lot easier to transfer really big files to and from it.

If it doesn't work on another computer, then it's probably the stick itself that isn't working.

(Also, how hard is it to spell my name right when it's right there in front of you?)

dirk667 08-05-2007 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gibigbig (Post 1207120)

yeah, iv never had 2 install anything on any computers 2 access my files from a flash drive. i think it may have a bad connection if it continually refuses 2 work.