Fandom Forums

Fandom Forums (http://www.fandom.com/forums//index.php)
-   World News (http://www.fandom.com/forums//forumdisplay.php?f=169)
-   -   Beijing 2008 (http://www.fandom.com/forums//showthread.php?t=39665)

Kina 04-10-2008 07:13 PM

Beijing 2008

(source: http://www.racefortibet.org/)
(-support a news section in NL!-)

This summer the Olympics are hosted in Beijing, China and they must be very proud, however, the citizens of Tibet and their supporters are not. During the occupation of Tibet, people have been silenced. Many of their temples have been destroyed and one of their most important figures was stolen away at the age of 6 (and hasn't been seen since). They're beaten and tortured for their protests. Discriminatory economic plans against Tibetans threaten their identity. In spite of all this, the games will go on.

(source: My local paper)
The spectators of the running of the torch who waited near San Fransisco Bay never got to see the torch. The sheer mass of protesters (Both Pro-China and Pro-Tibet) caused a change in the root of the runner. Instead of the bay, he was diverted to the airport where the Olympic flame was placed on a plane and whisked away without display.

Seems to be stirring a lot of buzz, huh?

DarkAztek 04-10-2008 08:18 PM

Re: Beijing 2008

A lot of people, including certain presidential candidates, are really upset about China being able to host because of their human rights record. To an extent, I agree. However, the whole fucking point of the Olympics is to forget about bickering nations problems and just compete with the rest of the world. It's about the athletes and the human spirit. I hate to employ Godwin's Law here, but fucking Hitler hosted and everything turned out okay.

Hell, think of it as a chance to show up those Commie pinkos.

Nuerhachi Niru 04-15-2008 10:06 PM

^I agree.

I don't approve of Beijing hosting the Olympics either but what can you do about it? Putting out a flame sure as hell ain't gonna stop the beatings over in China. If anything, it'll cause more commotion.

YoshiToshi 04-17-2008 03:05 AM

[I support a News Section!]
Although China hosting the Olympics might become a bit of an ordeal-- I don't think the Olympics should be involved at all with China's government and economical problems.
Indeed, the games will go on.

Trey 07-23-2008 04:55 AM

Unless some Confucian extremists show up, strapped head to toe in the latest of bombing fashion, then there is nothing to worry about.

I'm actually thinking of catching this Olympic event, a lot of records are expected to be broken (including Micheal Johnson's longstanding 400 record).

Sasame 07-31-2008 04:54 AM

Another dire factor is the important steps China needs to take to improve its air quality since air pollution in China is one of the worst in the world, and where athletes especially in endurance contests may fall sick due to lack of quality air, which would severly disrupt the Olympics since that is one of the most hottest issues facing China from every country participating around the world.

kikuri 07-31-2008 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAztek (Post 1485916)
A lot of people, including certain presidential candidates, are really upset about China being able to host because of their human rights record. To an extent, I agree. However, the whole fucking point of the Olympics is to forget about bickering nations problems and just compete with the rest of the world. It's about the athletes and the human spirit. I hate to employ Godwin's Law here, but fucking Hitler hosted and everything turned out okay.

Hell, think of it as a chance to show up those Commie pinkos.

i agree... let's do this for the sake of sportsmanship. at least that's one thing people around the world can enjoy.

but we also can't deny the politics in sports. it's as red taped as governments are. there's too many issues concerning china and the Olympics.

I just hope no unnecessary and extreme actions will follow.