Fandom Forums

Fandom Forums (http://www.fandom.com/forums//index.php)
-   Anime & Manga (http://www.fandom.com/forums//forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Do you consider Avatar: The Last Airbender an Anime? (http://www.fandom.com/forums//showthread.php?t=43340)

Naruto Fox9 08-15-2008 11:37 PM

Do you consider Avatar: The Last Airbender an Anime?

Do you consider Avatar: The Last Airbender an Anime? After all there is no Manga for it and many people don't consider it Anime because it didn't come from Orient (China, Japan, etc).

ShinobiKnight 08-15-2008 11:42 PM

Re: Do you consider Avatar: The Last Airbender an Anime?

For the reasons you just gave, no. Admittedly, it ain't half-bad for a kid's show, but it's not an anime.

Sasuke is awsome 08-15-2008 11:42 PM

It's defintley not an anime

satsuki 08-15-2008 11:48 PM

nop. its not an anime. i don't consider it as one but even so, i like watching it.

Spiegel 08-16-2008 02:28 PM

Not an anime persay but a good damn attempt by the Americans. Great show, great action and story, wouldn't be surprised if Japan turned it into a manga or anime using their traditonal style.

Lelouch 08-16-2008 04:10 PM

alot of the material used for the show came directly from japans C&T, but since its american nope its just another damn good cartoon.

blake 08-17-2008 05:06 PM

no its just a really good cartoon. the animation is kinda better than some anime, and it has 1 thing most anime usually doesnt have. filler episodes that arent completely stupid and quite enjoyable

Shikamaru2007 08-18-2008 05:17 AM

American Animation is an American Animation .... No matter how good is it
Anime is Japanese ..... so , I don't consider Avatar an anime , Just a great Nick' Show ..

YoshiToshi 08-28-2008 02:19 AM

No, not anime-- But it is drawn in that style. I still consider it a cartoon, or I call it "American-anime". Not exactly the real thing, but it's a hell of a lot better than more cartoons I see these days.
I personally don't call it "anime". =/

Hiraku 08-28-2008 02:22 AM

the best dang cartoon in the last five years. Thats what Avatar is to any fan of the show. Not anime its to short and direct to the point to be anime in its plot.

the_bargain 08-28-2008 04:29 AM

the best animated show there is

Shad0w_Hunter 08-28-2008 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_bargain (Post 1573929)
the best animated show there is

Watch Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and try saying that. I garuntee you shall fail, and if you so much as try, your head will implode.

By no stretch is it an anime. It's amerime, usually something to be urinated on. This one has trancended that level and arisen to the level of something to contemplate spitting on. As, being the sacrelige that it is, it's almost good. So it's hard to decide whether or not to spit on it.

Spiegel 08-28-2008 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shad0w_Hunter (Post 1573975)
Watch Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and try saying that. I garuntee you shall fail, and if you so much as try, your head will implode.

By no stretch is it an anime. It's amerime, usually something to be urinated on. This one has trancended that level and arisen to the level of something to contemplate spitting on. As, being the sacrelige that it is, it's almost good. So it's hard to decide whether or not to spit on it.

Very harsh even if you made the attempt to compliment it towards the end. I'd wouldn't go as far as you but its high level animation by the americans and can go on par with Samurai Jack. As far as I know those are the only two shows that can be deemed worthy to be compared to as an anime.

Shad0w_Hunter 08-28-2008 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kakashi87 (Post 1573999)
Very harsh even if you made the attempt to compliment it towards the end. I'd wouldn't go as far as you but its high level animation by the americans and can go on par with Samurai Jack. As far as I know those are the only two shows that can be deemed worthy to be compared to as an anime.

See...i respect samurai Jack. It made no attempt to be an anime. The style was simple in the style of an american cartoon, which just happened to be action packed. Genndy Tartovsky (SP?) did a wonderful job with that show. The only reason i say it can't be compaired to anime is this: if it was about the crazy scottsman and not a samurai, chances are, it wouldnt even occur to you to compare it to anime.

Avatar almost got me. I have to admit. Though, it's probably my undying hatred for dubbing that killed this series for me. English voiceactors, for the most part, are in an eternal pit of fail.

I dunno...maybe i'll give avatar a second chance, it seems to be popular enough.

Spiegel 08-28-2008 12:48 PM

The voice acting in Avatar is really great for an American cartoon that has the "anime style"; more so than the crap load of the anime that gets dubbed here by the likes of Bandai and Funimation (Funimation and 4Kids can burn in hell for ruinning some good ones). And you are right that the creator of Samurai Jack didn't go in the direction of making an anime stylized cartoon and it ended up being uber great. I also read in an article that the creator of Avatar is an anime enthusiast and is inspired by the art work that Japanese animators put into their series so when he created Avatar it had the oriental feel of an anime but his focus wasn't on trying to make it an American anime; he just wanted to make a great cartoon series with the oriental appeal.