Fandom Forums

Fandom Forums (http://www.fandom.com/forums//index.php)
-   World News (http://www.fandom.com/forums//forumdisplay.php?f=169)
-   -   Kid Kills Mother Over Halo 3 (http://www.fandom.com/forums//showthread.php?t=46535)

Nexus 01-13-2009 08:32 PM

Kid Kills Mother Over Halo 3

- Direct Link -

Quote:

ELYRIA, Ohio (Jan. 13) - Although a teenager's obsession with a violent video game may have warped his sense of reality, the boy is guilty of murdering his mother and wounding his father after they took "Halo 3" away from him, a judge ruled Monday.
"I firmly believe that Daniel Petric had no idea at the time he hatched this plot that if he killed his parents they would be dead forever," Lorain County Common Pleas Judge James Burge said.
Nonetheless, Burge rejected the defense attorneys' argument that Petric, 17, was not guilty by reason of insanity.
The defense didn't contest that Petric shot his parents in October 2007 after they took the game away from him, but insisted that the teen's youth and addiction made him less responsible.
Petric may have been addicted, but the evidence also showed he planned the crime for weeks, said Burge, who found the teenager guilty of aggravated murder, attempted aggravated murder and other charges.
Tried as an adult, Petric faces a maximum possible penalty of life in prison without parole. The judge didn't set a sentencing date.
The teen's mother, Susan Petric, 43, died of a gunshot wound to the head. Her husband, Mark Petric, a minister at New Life Assembly of God in Wellington, also was shot in the head but survived.
After the verdict was announced, Petric turned to look at his father seated behind him in the courtroom. Mark Petric, who previously said he has forgiven his son, gave an encouraging nod.
Mark Petric and other relatives left the court without comment.
Prosecutors said Petric planned to kill his parents because he was angry that his father would not allow him to play the video game, in which players shoot alien monsters that have taken over the Earth.
On the night of the shooting, Petric used his father's key to open a lockbox and remove a 9 mm handgun and the game.
Mark Petric testified that his son came into the room and asked: "Would you guys close your eyes? I have a surprise for you." He testified that he expected a pleasant surprise. Then his head went numb from the gunshot.
Deputy prosecuting attorney Anthony Cillo argued during the trial that the teenager had planned to make it appear to be a murder-suicide by putting the gun in his father's hand.
Defense Attorney James Kersey said that when the teenager fled the grisly scene, he only took one item with him: the "Halo 3" game.
Bungie LLC, once part of Microsoft, developed the Xbox 360-exclusive Halo 3, and Microsoft owns the game's intellectual property. Microsoft declined to comment beyond a statement: "We are aware of the situation and it is a tragic case."

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. Active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

2009-01-13 00:46:08
Sad but true news. What's wrong with people? :confused: :confused:

Sasuke is awsome 01-13-2009 08:47 PM

Re: Kid Kills Mother Over Halo 3

Who the hell kills their mother and attempts to kill there father for a video game? I agree with u whats wrong with people.

Gamr1469 01-13-2009 09:17 PM

great...one isolated incident and the media is going to have a field day with this

Sevi 01-13-2009 09:22 PM

Another lunatic gamer.
And look, surprise surprise, they're blaming it on the video game.
These dumbfucks keep on giving us a bad name.
I vote on all three.

Damn, I hope I never faced that guy in online
xD

Kina 01-13-2009 09:25 PM

Jack Thompson will hold this over the gaming world forever. >.0 That's just bad parenting, not the games.

Mal 01-13-2009 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uchiha_Kina (Post 1637375)
Jack Thompson will hold this over the gaming world forever. >.0 That's just bad parenting, not the games.

Like hell he has any credibility anymore.

Kina 01-13-2009 09:36 PM

Lol, good, that dude was an ignorant douche.

balmung5000 01-13-2009 09:54 PM

lulz
fucking classic story

Gamr1469 01-13-2009 10:01 PM

yeah honestly it IS the partents fault and i think the dad new that...i mean if they would have been better parents i doubt they would have had to take away halo 3 in the first place

kluang 01-13-2009 10:18 PM

Whats wrong with kids these days. They dont listen instead shooting their parents

Mal 01-13-2009 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamr1469 (Post 1637449)
yeah honestly it IS the partents fault and i think the dad new that...i mean if they would have been better parents i doubt they would have had to take away halo 3 in the first place

I agree. It's easy to blame the kid because he actually committed the act, but it only hurt the people who raised him. If they'd done a better job of it, this most likely wouldn't have happened.

We usually blame the parents for kids being violent, why should it be any different when the victims were themselves?

Gamr1469 01-13-2009 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mal (Post 1637539)
I agree. It's easy to blame the kid because he actually committed the act, but it only hurt the people who raised him. If they'd done a better job of it, this most likely wouldn't have happened.

We usually blame the parents for kids being violent, why should it be any different when the victims were themselves?

i dont even think it has anything to do with parents being violent (no offence Mal) Its more like the parents didnt punish the kid when he wa little...and now he gets punished and he goes psycho

actually i think a little violence (spanking slapping) is very productive for some children

Mal 01-14-2009 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamr1469 (Post 1637579)
i dont even think it has anything to do with parents being violent (no offence Mal) Its more like the parents didnt punish the kid when he wa little...and now he gets punished and he goes psycho

actually i think a little violence (spanking slapping) is very productive for some children

I never said anything about the parents being violent, I agree whole heartedly that spanking is a perfectly acceptable form of punishment. As soon as a kid is capable of understanding right and wrong, they need to be taught it and it needs to be enforced. Boundaries and limitations are important for proper development.

Freshgrease 01-14-2009 12:59 AM

That tard must be the same retard that used to scream like a 13-year old over XBL shouting profanities and gay jokes. I hope his father beats the shit out of him so he'll wish for a quick death. Then let him rot in jail waiting for the death sentence. You can still kill him, but make sure he takes showers with the rest of the inmates. Might provide some lulz after the fact.

zer0systm 01-14-2009 04:13 AM

he didn't even take his 360 with him.....lock the lil prick up gettin all devo over a 360 game, i mean the novelty of that game wears off quickly anyway, where i the father i could never forgive his actions given the reason he did it all, oh and who locks a video game away in a gun locker so their agro lil teen can't play it.....