Fandom Forums

Fandom Forums (http://www.fandom.com/forums//index.php)
-   World News (http://www.fandom.com/forums//forumdisplay.php?f=169)
-   -   Obama urges longer school hours (http://www.fandom.com/forums//showthread.php?t=47582)

Narutodemon 03-16-2009 10:12 PM

Obama urges longer school hours

http://www.kansascity.com/444/story/1078454.html

LonelyNinja 03-16-2009 11:03 PM

Re: Obama urges longer school hours

Sounds like a good idea to me. Same goes for merit pay for teachers.

Freshgrease 03-16-2009 11:16 PM

Indeed. Teachers need more money, otherwise there is no incentive for smart people to join up. The max around these parts is $45K and that's a glass ceiling for a 20+year teacher.

Vanity 03-17-2009 12:31 AM

School if for squares.

Gamr1469 03-17-2009 12:53 AM

honestly i never thought i would want longer school hours...but after listening and thinking about it, its not that bad of an idea

Hurricane Chronicles 03-17-2009 02:34 AM

Longer School hours i do not agree but i voted for Obama so I support it. Its just not every kid needs longer school hours, but for a good amount of kids this would be helpful.

ShinobiKnight 03-18-2009 07:41 PM

Merit pay is a brilliant idea. What's wrong with being rewarded for excelling at your job, especially if it's something as important as education?

I oppose longer school hours though. I don't believe less time in school is the reason American students have worse grades than foreign ones. It's because our education system is so good, Americans take it for granted. In Japan, for example, about 1/4 of students make it into college; that's why they study so diligently, and even go to cram school in their free time. In America, as long as you actually take school seriously, you'll most likely get passing grades and get into college. Some kids see that and figure you can get by putting in minimal effort, which is untrue. What we need is a change in the way the bad students think about school, something I don't see happening.

aeondrift 03-19-2009 12:32 AM

Here in Asia, things are highly competitive leading to a mentality of "survivor of the fittest", and lots of stressed out, unhappy and suicidal people -- ok that's an exaggeration. :P

Here, unskilled worker are paid peanuts due to a much lower minimum wage. Thus w/o education, you'll have a higher chance of being doomed to poverty; that is unless you're resourceful, smart and driven enough to succeed.

Shinobi, yes I do see your arguments but what do you reckon? That America create less college so that student have to fight for places? And then lower minimum wage so that people would work harder to ensure a stable and more secure future?

DaPhenom89 03-19-2009 10:44 AM

I'm gonna have to disagree with Shinobi High school was a joke for me I had each and every credit I needed for my high school diploma by the end of my junior year. In my senior year i cut classes a lot and I sill graduated with an 80 average. You don't have to work hard at all to pass a class the bare minimum will get you good grades.

I think they need to hire better teachers and make the classes more difficult. It is way to easy to get through High school in some places and it leaves you somewhat unprepared for college. I also like the idea of paying good teachers more money because many teachers are unprepared or they don't do anything that is helpful to the students.

ShinobiKnight 03-19-2009 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeondrift (Post 1673616)
Shinobi, yes I do see your arguments but what do you reckon? That America create less college so that student have to fight for places? And then lower minimum wage so that people would work harder to ensure a stable and more secure future?

I can't make any suggestions. Like I said, I don't see the situation changing any time soon. Also, I never mentioned minimum wage.

@DaPhenom: Don't be stupid. One exception doesn't obviate my argument. I myself am an exception to that I said, but it doesn't matter, because I meant in general. And in general, if you blow off assignments and skip school, you fail. Prove me wrong.

Spiegel 03-19-2009 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShinobiKnight (Post 1673377)
Merit pay is a brilliant idea. What's wrong with being rewarded for excelling at your job, especially if it's something as important as education?

I oppose longer school hours though. I don't believe less time in school is the reason American students have worse grades than foreign ones. It's because our education system is so good, Americans take it for granted. In Japan, for example, about 1/4 of students make it into college; that's why they study so diligently, and even go to cram school in their free time. In America, as long as you actually take school seriously, you'll most likely get passing grades and get into college. Some kids see that and figure you can get by putting in minimal effort, which is untrue. What we need is a change in the way the bad students think about school, something I don't see happening.

Having parents cooperating with the school's and working with their kids would also help increase the number of students passing with good grades. People just like to blame their kids failures on the public school system because they are too ashamed to blame themselves. I'm also for the Merit pay. God knows how many awesome teachers I've come along by and they get crappy pay. Not only that but they have to deal with a lot of the bull shit rules the school puts and the nonsense from kids. They more than deserve.

RNB 03-19-2009 04:04 PM

More government control in education = bad.

Narutodemon 03-19-2009 08:24 PM

This is why we take classes when we are junior senior year so we can be prepared for college, but i do not believe in the longer school hours. But i like the idea of teachers getting their merit pay and stuff like that.

EDIT: Our classes at my school are only like 48 mins. long.

Kina 03-19-2009 08:43 PM

I'm all up for teachers getting a pay raise, they need it.

But longer school hours? Oh fuck no. Lol, an hour and a half for one class is too long now. I'm in school for too long as it is.

shippuuden101 03-19-2009 09:49 PM

and i told everyone not to vote/support him. They did and now look what happend\

I am getting all A's and B's and I am an advanced student. Why should I have to go to school longer cuz everyone else fails at life