Fandom Forums

Fandom Forums (http://www.fandom.com/forums//index.php)
-   Spam Zone (http://www.fandom.com/forums//forumdisplay.php?f=164)
-   -   I must comment on this . . . (http://www.fandom.com/forums//showthread.php?t=51280)

RNB 01-29-2010 07:23 PM

I must comment on this . . .

Quote:

god is dead - friedrich nietzsche
Nietzsche was probably saying that the concept of god was dead, or that it's death was inevitable. At the time atheist philosophy and anti-theist philosophy was becoming more popular. Also, when he says "god is dead" he is also saying that absolutes were dieing. An epistemological skeptic, Nietzsche criticized science and its method of acquiring "proof." He also attacked that moralities of that time which were what he termed, "master-slave" moralities. In that sense, the absolutes formed within morality, such as altruism, were dead.

Nietzsche probably wasn't at all trying to make a comment on God's existence. The madman had more of a warning/pseudo-lament feel to what he said.

zer0systm 01-29-2010 07:24 PM

Re: I must comment on this . . .

tl;dr .

Miburo 01-29-2010 07:35 PM

Not long enough, write more.

Jaxon 01-29-2010 07:41 PM

God is dead, and no-one cares. If there is a Hell, I'll see you there.

LonelyNinja 01-29-2010 07:54 PM

^ I'm with this prick.

Nerox 01-29-2010 08:04 PM

i know what friedrich nietzsche wrote and meant, but i don't give a fuck about religion.
so, for my concern, god is dead or better, never excisted in the first place...

zer0systm 01-29-2010 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaxon (Post 1785101)
God is dead, and no-one cares. If there is a Hell, I'll see you there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LonelyNinja (Post 1785108)
^ I'm with this prick.

Atleast i'll know some people when i get there....

Tabris 01-29-2010 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerox511 (Post 1785114)
i know what friedrich nietzsche wrote and meant, but i don't give a fuck about religion.

are you illiterate?
because RNB very planely stated friedrich's point and meaning, which isn't really saying anything about you and your beliefs.
So when discussing his ideologies and ideas, which aren't at about religion, but instead about the idea of absolutes, why bring up that you don't care about religion
and if you don't care about religion, why be so passionate in yoru response?

Miburo 01-30-2010 03:45 AM

I think that Nerox guy posted the quote in RNB's post somewhere recently, using it as a response to a person (Adbot) wishing it was god. Which sorta explains his post in here.

Also, it is true that Nietzsche was not being literal in that quote. He wasn't saying that God existed, but is now dead. He was referring to the concept or belief in a divine being that was a basis of morality and knowledge for hundreds of years (via religion), and that it was/will be eroded away by rationality and science.

That doesn't mean the phrase itself is making no statement regarding the existence of God. Nietzche himself did not believe in God as an actual being, he considered God to exist purely as a concept. Which would explain the wording of the quote pretty well, actually. So, using that logic, the quote implied that God as a divine being does not exist, as well as the concept of God is on the way out.

tl;dr=Nietzche is meh.

Also, I don't know why you guys are talking about gathering up in the fiery underworld. We'll be all meeting up at the courtyard in Valhalla, greeting each other with axe and sword! Then we shall feast on pork and mead served to us in the great hall by beautiful valkyries. All to hone our skills and await the day we don our war-gear and aid the all-father in his battle against the great wolf during the ragnarok. It shall be glorious, comrades!

Nerox 01-30-2010 05:59 AM

i would really like to discuss such things with you, but i fear, that when i try this in english, it will not sound as i wish it to sound.

and btw, i'm not illiterate...i have the pleasure of studying at an university, tabris.

thanks to miburo for pointing out that i really didn't answer to any discussion, and perhaps it was a mistake by me, not saying i posted that in an adbot threat. but then i still thought RNB was the only one who thought i was illiterate :>

edit: holy shit, i corrected some grave mistakes, sorry for these >_<
but bare with me, i was kinda hammered yesterday and this morning my head was not that clear yet...

Tzu Men 01-30-2010 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RNB (Post 1785094)
An epistemological skeptic, Nietzsche criticized science and its method of acquiring "proof."

I'm disinterested in this argument and I know that it's in inverted commas, but I have to say that every time someone says that science gathers proof or can prove things every scientist dies inside. :(

Miburo 01-30-2010 08:52 AM

Yeah, it's kinda obvious English isn't Nerox's first language. RNB was responding to something Nerox posted in a thread that is now in the hall of fail section, I assumed.

And what?...Science can be used to prove things. I have a feeling that statement was just worded weirdly or something though. And that you're referring to how science is more about unbiased observation and experimentation, while making no claims of absolute certainty ever, or something along those lines.

Totally agree on how the subject of philosophical skepticism, when taken too far, is uninteresting. And stupid as fuck.

Tabris 01-30-2010 12:34 PM

i know nerox used the quote (in the "destroy the dream of the user above you" thread)
and i didn't think Nerox's english was bad, it's easy to understand.
i just sort of assume anyone who doens't read and comprehend is illiterate.
it's one of my more asshole-ish tendencies
(

RNB 01-30-2010 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerox511 (Post 1785114)

People have twisted Nietzsche's writings to put forth their own agenda all throughout history. Quoting Nietzsche was pretty useless in that circumstance and only further leads people to think that he was all about anti-god. He was much more anti-certainty. It undermines the quote when you use it simply to express your anti-religion sentiments. On top of that you used a philosopher who's words have been used to commit atrocities.

Quote:

I'm disinterested in this argument and I know that it's in inverted commas, but I have to say that every time someone says that science gathers proof or can prove things every scientist dies inside.
Maybe I chose the wrong word, but what I meant is that science tries to find concretes and claims to have them. With those concretes we build skyscrapers. Without them we live in the jungle as hunter-gatherers.

Quote:

but then i still thought RNB was the only one who thought i was illiterate :>
I never said, nor implied that you were illiterate.

Nerox 01-30-2010 01:28 PM

just had that impression, no big ^^

and about nietzsche's phrase being misinterepreted many times through history; yes, that's right, and i did nothing else. i used that phrase to imply my religious beliefs and also to answer to a stupid adbotthread, which is silly in some way i suppose ^^
nietzsche pusblished that theory in the time of the european nihilism and thus wanted to show the people of this time, that they lost the christian values and the moral behind christianity. and with these moral or values died "god".

still, i often, and to my shame perhaps, use this term with pleasure, because i know i can upset religious people as well as some stuck up smartasses :> (no insult to you, i like your way of arguing and discussing, but some people i know are that stuck up...)

so, i think this is settled...
http://www.pictureupload.de/original...19_copilot.gif