Fandom Forums

Fandom Forums (http://www.fandom.com/forums//index.php)
-   World News (http://www.fandom.com/forums//forumdisplay.php?f=169)
-   -   Film legend Elizabeth Taylor dies at 79 in LA (AP) (http://www.fandom.com/forums//showthread.php?t=70549)

kluang 03-23-2011 12:03 PM

Film legend Elizabeth Taylor dies at 79 in LA (AP)

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies....-dies-79-la-ap

rip

Marlboro 03-23-2011 01:16 PM

Re: Film legend Elizabeth Taylor dies at 79 in LA (AP)

R.I.P Elizabeth. You will be missed.

ACt 03-23-2011 01:29 PM

Cue the young masses googling "Elizabeth Taylor" to figure out who and what this means to their lives.

Numinous 03-23-2011 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AkamaruChewtoy (Post 1940366)
Cue the young masses googling "Elizabeth Taylor" to figure out who and what this means to their lives.

Then I must be old, because I still remember her in Cleopatra. Too bad the movie choices she made after that were less than stellar (she appeared in the Flintstones movie, for Cthulhu's sake!).

ACt 03-23-2011 03:15 PM

You were alive in 1963? My point was that unless you are truly a movie buff, this doesn't affect anyone under 30, since all of her work of note was pre-1980.

ask me anything 03-23-2011 03:27 PM

I've never seen any of her films or anything, but I know the name. I vaguely remember her doing some T.V. commercials for her White Diamonds perfume brand when I was a kid. That's about it.

(Goes googling like ACT predicted I would) Holy shit she was a hottie when she was younger. Totally Fap worthy. Too soon? Maybe I should wait a week or so, and then fap. Yeah that works.

Numinous 03-23-2011 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AkamaruChewtoy (Post 1940385)
You were alive in 1963?

I was there for 2 days due to an incident with a blue police box and a guy with celery on his coat collar, does that count?

Quote:

My point was that unless you are truly a movie buff, this doesn't affect anyone under 30, since all of her work of note was pre-1980.
I don't know, Elizabeth Taylor isn't exactly an actress that the only young people that know about her are movie cognoscenti. Or maybe I'm overestimating the common knowledge of younger generations.

Edit:
Quote:

Holy shit she was a hottie when she was younger. Totally Fap worthy. Too soon? Maybe I should wait a week or so, and then fap. Yeah that works.
Watch Cleopatra, now! Then you can fap all you want.

ACt 03-23-2011 03:32 PM

Well, her divorce rate maybe set today's standards, but if you knew her for anything but her movies and perhaps charity work, you knew her for the wrong reasons. What else did she do? She's mostly just an name people have heard of rather than anyone they know of.

ask me anything 03-23-2011 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Numinous (Post 1940388)
I was there for 2 days due to an incident with a blue police box and a guy with celery on his coat collar, does that count?

Oh, that silly Doctor and his shenanigans.

Quote:

I don't know, Elizabeth Taylor isn't exactly an actress that the only young people that know about her are movie cognoscenti. Or maybe I'm overestimating the common knowledge of younger generations.
Trust me, you are.

Numinous 03-23-2011 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ask me anything (Post 1940391)
Trust me, you are.

Silly me for having a circle of friends that are properly cultured, it makes me forget that newer generations recognize faster Snooki rather than Alexander Hamilton, even if he's on the damn dollar notes.

ask me anything 03-23-2011 04:24 PM

Well this current generation is full of retards. Not everyone of course, but I'd wager the retards are the majority. Maybe that's just an America thing though. If nothing else look at how people act on the internet. That's probably the best indicator of how a person truly is, since people can be themselves online without any real repercussions. Unlike in RL, where a person might keep his mouth shut in order to not sound stupid. But yeah, these kids now are stupid. Some can't help it though. ADD and WoW made them that way.

kael03 03-23-2011 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ask me anything (Post 1940394)
WoW made them that way.

>_>
<_<
I can't fully deny this.

Numinous 03-23-2011 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ask me anything (Post 1940394)
who's snooki

I'd rather not know, but she's just famous for some stupid reason. Go figure.

Quote:

Well this current generation is full of retards. Not everyone of course, but I'd wager the retards are the majority. Maybe that's just an America thing though.
Unfortunately, it's not. You can't go the mall without hearing a bunch of chicks talking about Twilight and the latest lip gloss. Errrghhh...

Quote:

If nothing else look at how people act on the internet. That's probably the best indicator of how a person truly is, since people can be themselves online without any real repercussions. Unlike in RL, where a person might keep his mouth shut in order to not sound stupid. But yeah, these kids now are stupid. Some can't help it though. ADD and WoW made them that way.
Why WoW? The game's not generating retards, the good players will still be good and the retards will still be retards.

But regardless of that, I think the problem is in the education, both in knowledge and in behavior. Education as it is rarely rewards constructive creativity and discovery of additional knowledge and promotes conformism a little too much than it should, which makes very difficult to raise truly intelligent persons (those who can really think vs the masters of information regurgitation).

Ask yourself how many of your school colleagues read any books other than the obligatory by schedule? I remember reading 2 or 3 more books from the same authors of the obligatory reads, while most of my colleagues only read the really obligatory parts of said books. Or even the high school biology controversy: for me, a good biological controversy would be "were dinosaurs warm-blooded?". What I (and many schools over the all) got? Creationism vs Evolution. 1 whole fucking week on that pile of shit, always hearing again and again "God this" and "God that" and "Banana fits in your hand!". It's like teachers are afraid of breaking the conformism of religious majority and teach science as it is.

But I digress. My point is, maybe this generation is more stupid because they conform to what is considered the norm, therefore not feeling the necessity of exercising the fullest of their capabilities.

Spiegel 03-23-2011 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AkamaruChewtoy (Post 1940366)

Googled and after several Wiki links clicked now I feel empty inside a bit. Now I want to post all R.I.P. all over the interwebs and pretend that I care.

kluang 03-23-2011 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AkamaruChewtoy (Post 1940389)
Well, her divorce rate maybe set today's standards, but if you knew her for anything but her movies and perhaps charity work, you knew her for the wrong reasons. What else did she do? She's mostly just an name people have heard of rather than anyone they know of.

7 dudes and 8 marriages

or is it

8 dudes and 7 marriages,

I dont really remember