Fandom Forums

Fandom Forums (http://www.fandom.com/forums//index.php)
-   World News (http://www.fandom.com/forums//forumdisplay.php?f=169)
-   -   Nepalese soldier in the British army single-handedly took down 30 taliban fighters (http://www.fandom.com/forums//showthread.php?t=71314)

blake 06-03-2011 12:14 PM

Nepalese soldier in the British army single-handedly took down 30 taliban fighters

LONDON (AFP) – A Nepalese soldier in the British army has been given a top bravery award by Queen Elizabeth II for his heroics in Afghanistan, where he single-handedly saw off more than 30 Taliban fighters.
Corporal Dipprasad Pun, 31, said he thought he was going to die and so had nothing to lose in taking on the attackers who overran his checkpoint.
He was awarded the Conspicuous Gallantry Cross (CGC), which is given in recognition of acts of conspicuous gallantry during active operations against the enemy.

Pun fired more than 400 rounds, launched 17 grenades and detonated a mine to repel the Taliban assault on his checkpoint near Babaji in Helmand Province, southern Afghanistan, last September.
Surrounded, the enemy opened fired from all sides and for 15 minutes Pun remained under continuous attack, including from rocket-propelled grenades and AK47 guns.

At one point, unable to shoot, he used his machine gun tripod to knock down a militant who was climbing the walls of the compound.
Two insurgents were still attacking by the time he ran out of ammunition, but he set off a Claymore mine to repel them.
Pun was given his medal in a ceremony at Buckingham Palace in London on Wednesday.

The CGC is second only to the Victoria Cross -- the highest honour for bravery in the face of the enemy.
"There wasn't any choice but to fight. The Taliban were all around the checkpoint. I was alone," he said.
"I had so many of them around me that I thought I was definitely going to die so I thought I'd kill as many of them as I could before they killed me.
"After that I thought nobody can kill us now -- when we met the enemy I wasn't scared."
Britain's Major General Nicholas Carter, who was commander of allied forces in southern Afghanistan during Pun's deployment, praised his efforts.
"The CGC does not get handed out lightly. It was a most remarkable achievement," he said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110602...stannepalaward

Thats 1 badass soldier. His K/D ratio is gonna be through the roof

kluang 06-03-2011 02:56 PM

Re: Nepalese soldier in the British army single-handedly took down 30 taliban fighter

That guy is a gurkha. what do you expect? They repel the mongols, and anything invading their land even the british empire cant knock them down. So they gave them Nepal and hired them as mercenaries.

there is a famous quote about the gurkhas

If a man says he is not afraid of dying, he is either lying or is a Gurkha

And they worship the goddess of war

LonelyNinja 06-03-2011 03:52 PM

Re: Nepalese soldier in the British army single-handedly took down 30 taliban fighter

Only second best medal? He's gotta pick up the slack.

blake 06-03-2011 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LonelyNinja (Post 1950250)
Only second best medal? He's gotta pick up the slack.

yea that is kinda not fair. How many people does he have to off before he gets the victoria cross. But on a side note, if I were him; after I was done with the taliban Id go find the stupid afghan military who ran away and left me there all alone and continue to beat some ass

ACt 06-03-2011 05:08 PM

Fun story, while hiking through the Annapurnas in Nepal, my wife's travel group was halted by communist soldiers, brandishing automatic rifles, who strongly recommended that everyone make a "voluntary" donation to the communist party. She promptly looked them dead in the eye and negotiated a student discount of 60%.

They ain't so tough...

Numinous 06-03-2011 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AkamaruChewtoy (Post 1950264)
Fun story,while hiking through the Pyrenees in Nepal, my wife's travel group was halted by communist soldiers, brandishing automatic rifles, who strongly recommended that everyone make a "voluntary" donation to the communist party. She promptly looked them dead in the eye and negotiated a student discount of 60%.

They ain't so tough...

I see what you did there.

ACt 06-03-2011 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Numinous (Post 1950273)
I see what you did there.

Made a stupid error. It was a long lab day. I hope you understand, smug european.

BoyThisIsAwkward 06-03-2011 08:17 PM

Pshhh this guy did 30 straight kills. Where is the nuke?

manta 06-03-2011 08:23 PM

Dude must be scarred mentally having survived that. /Salute

Tzu Men 06-03-2011 08:34 PM

Gurkha's are indisputably badass.

My grandfather served as a major for a group of Gurkhas in the 1950s, they taught troops jungle warfare to try and stop Malaysian independence, all very British Empire - what ho gooks and all that.
Anyway the gave my grandfather two Gurkha swords. We still have them, the batshit quality of them isn't just their size, it's that soldiers never wield them without drawing blood. They actually have pins next to the handle so that before entering battle Gurkha's can slice open their own thumbs to put fresh blood on the blade.

blake 06-03-2011 08:49 PM

but also the taliban are retarded. Even if its one man, being out in the open while rushing an outpost is just dumb. They shouldve realized that after the first 15 or so people were killed; this dude isnt going down easy

manta 06-04-2011 12:16 AM

Neat, a chair soldier. ^

Numinous 06-04-2011 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AkamaruChewtoy (Post 1950279)
Made a stupid error. It was a long lab day. I hope you understand, smug european.

o.O

I said that because I thought it was part of the joke, not to point out some mistake. Sorry if my post lead to such misunderstanding.

ACt 06-04-2011 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Numinous (Post 1950315)
o.O

I said that because I thought it was part of the joke, not to point out some mistake. Sorry if my post lead to such misunderstanding.

No worries. I would rather be correct (because it is a true story) and you are probably one of the few who would catch that anyway. I'm usually quite good at geography. I think the "p" in the names messed me up.

I would like to see the Pyrenees on day, though... they any good?

Numinous 06-04-2011 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AkamaruChewtoy (Post 1950321)
I would like to see the Pyrenees on day, though... they any good?

They're ok as mountain ranges go, but if you are to travel to Europe for some mountain hiking, I'd recommend the Alps. More sightseeing, more well-organized entertainment sites and, of course, swiss chocolates.