Fandom Forums - View Single Post - Tsuna's Manga Coloring Tutorial
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2007, 04:53 PM   #4
Tsuna
♪S♥NE~소녀시대♪♪

Thanked 2,470 Times in 1,137 Posts
Tsuna has a reputation beyond reputeTsuna has a reputation beyond reputeTsuna has a reputation beyond reputeTsuna has a reputation beyond reputeTsuna has a reputation beyond reputeTsuna has a reputation beyond reputeTsuna has a reputation beyond reputeTsuna has a reputation beyond reputeTsuna has a reputation beyond reputeTsuna has a reputation beyond reputeTsuna has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sugoi's Manga Coloring Tutorial

SHADING AND HIGHLIGHTS

This is where things get difficult, and this is also where you'll be thankful you made different layers for each color. They'll be very useful with the smudging process. Focus on one thing at a time and don't get too carried away. Other than a few pointers, there's not much I can do to help you here. You have to imagine a light source, and that's something you have to do for yourself. I can, however, tell you the basics.

Burning makes the color darker. Like so:

Dodging makes the color lighter. Like so:

Note how the color of the eyes change.

Use the smudge tool to blend the light and dark areas together, but be careful.

Sometimes, smudging won't make much of a difference--like in the case of Naruto's eyes. But other times, like in the case of making the skin appear more lively and toned, smudging is key. Try to make the colors blend together as well as possible, and remember that not one size tip diameter (the size of the "brush") will do every job. Sometimes the diameter will need to be bigger, and sometimes it will need to be smaller.

The way you shade, highlight, and smudge affects the ending result of your coloring. Be as detailed as you want to. More details are always good, but don't get in over your head. But also, don't expect yourself to be amazing the first time around. No one is. You have to practice in order to get better, and practice hard. I've been coloring for nearly a year now, so my coloring will probably look a lot better than yours will if you're just starting out. Don't expect yours to be identical to mine, or to anyone else's. Everyone has a different style, and this tut isn't designed to make you color like me.

This tut was designed to give you a general concept of how to get started on a coloring, how to shade, how to lighten, and most importantly, how to get acquainted with the technique of coloring. Step 1 may have seemed long and tedious, but trust me, if you continue coloring, and continue to practice, Step 1 will become second nature, and only take a few seconds to do.

The polygonal lasso may be difficult to master at first, and it may take you hours just to complete a small coloring like this one. But with practice comes skill, and the lasso is no exception to that. With practice, you will become faster, and your colorings will not only take less time, but they will get better.

The most important thing to do is to not give up. No matter how bad you might be at the beginning, practice will always make you better. Just like in other areas of art, like drawing, for instance--if you start with stick figures, practice can help you make beautiful sketches and portraits.

It's the same with coloring, with sig-making, and any other area of art. You can get nowhere without practice, and especially not without determination. No colorist ever made it to where they were by giving up, or just suddenly was "born" with that talent. They may have started off a little better than you did, but they still had to practice to get to where they are today.

No matter what, keep practicing. There's always room for improvement.

Note: You don't have to make the background trasnparent on your colourings. I did that for practice.

Also; you should try finding better quality images for most of the colourings you do. This was just something quick and simple for the tutorial, but it's better to get high quality scans than to just go with what's there. On a side note, the black is left unshaded because I think it looks better that way. If you want to shade the black, all you have to do is create a new layer above the Lines layer and select the areas you want to color.

THREAD NOW OPEN FOR QUESTIONS/SUGGESTIONS/COMMENTS
Tsuna is offline   Reply With Quote