Fandom Forums - View Single Post - Opinions on Christianity
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2008, 08:11 PM   #21
Miburo

Re: Opinions on Christianity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles T View Post
I think your analogy doesn't hold because 'TV/Music/Books/etc.' are not beliefs. Those who 'believe' in God do just that...they hold a belief. One can read a book or watch a programme or listen to music. It doesn't necessarily follow that a certain belief should be adhered to. However, that's exactly what is dictated by a belief in God. And, when one allows for...'making shit up' like that, it means allowing for any arbitrary beliefs. Consider also that our actions are invariably affected by our values.
Oh, but nuclear weapons are? XD

Books/Movies/TV/Music/Videogames/etc. can effect and influence people's beliefs as well. If people listen to music or watch television programs that depict women as objects it can influence them to also view women in that way. Same with anything else I mentioned. People adhere to what people behind TV and music dictate as cool every fucking day. It's almost exactly the same thing as religion in those regards.

Are my analogies perfect? Not really. But not for the reason you mentioned. ; )

Quote:
However, I suppose my main argument is this: believing in God is not condonable because the positive aspects of that belief can be supplanted by other things that do not come with negative effects. Thus, to believe in God is a choice (albeit not necessarily a conscious one) to obtain positive results along with negative ones when one could just obtain the positive results without this belief.

I personally wouldn't suggest it to people, but it's hardly condemnable either so long as it's treated as a strictly personal, not to be used as a logical argument against anything or to be expected to be taken seriously be other people ever, type of belief.

I agree that it's not necessary to believe in that stuff, but if it helps people and they don't take it too far then seriously, why not? Thoughts and beliefs can't hurt anyone. Actions and words can, but I'm all for stupid shit done in the name of religion being looked down upon and condemned. So, seriously, with that in mind, what's wrong with religion then?
Quote:
One has to look at past experience and consider what can be gained. Nothing has been gained by such delusional beliefs that couldn't have been gained without it. It's held back humanity's development. Time to take out the trash, don'tcha think?
Not really. ; )

Don't get me wrong, things should change. People should be much, much more assertive when dealing with crybaby religious people who think their beliefs should be important and taken seriously. When some group of dumbasses start going on about how stem-cell research goes against God or something equally stupid, then someone should step up and say "No. Fuck you and your stupid shit. Shut the fuck up already!" I'm all for that.

But it does help people and provide them with comfort and support, regardless of if there are other ways to go about it. There are a lot of good, intelligent, caring religious people out there along with the crybaby nutjobs. Is it kind of stupid and unnecessary? Yeah, sure. Does that make it overall definitely 100% bad though? Nah.