Fandom Forums - View Single Post - Obama urges longer school hours
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2009, 01:19 PM   #11
Spiegel
Pirate King

Thanked 1,774 Times in 930 Posts
Spiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to all
Re: Obama urges longer school hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiKnight View Post
Merit pay is a brilliant idea. What's wrong with being rewarded for excelling at your job, especially if it's something as important as education?

I oppose longer school hours though. I don't believe less time in school is the reason American students have worse grades than foreign ones. It's because our education system is so good, Americans take it for granted. In Japan, for example, about 1/4 of students make it into college; that's why they study so diligently, and even go to cram school in their free time. In America, as long as you actually take school seriously, you'll most likely get passing grades and get into college. Some kids see that and figure you can get by putting in minimal effort, which is untrue. What we need is a change in the way the bad students think about school, something I don't see happening.
Having parents cooperating with the school's and working with their kids would also help increase the number of students passing with good grades. People just like to blame their kids failures on the public school system because they are too ashamed to blame themselves. I'm also for the Merit pay. God knows how many awesome teachers I've come along by and they get crappy pay. Not only that but they have to deal with a lot of the bull shit rules the school puts and the nonsense from kids. They more than deserve.
“Pirates are evil? The Marines are righteous? These terms have always changed throughout the course of history! Kids who have never seen peace and kids who have never seen war have different values! Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! This very place is neutral ground! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice!”
― Donquixote Doflamingo
*Ex-Kakashi87*

Last edited by Spiegel; 03-19-2009 at 01:20 PM.
Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote