Fandom Forums - View Single Post - Obama urges longer school hours
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2009, 06:10 AM   #25
zer0systm
Antagonist

Thanked 8,057 Times in 2,875 Posts
zer0systm is just really nicezer0systm is just really nicezer0systm is just really nicezer0systm is just really nicezer0systm is just really nicezer0systm is just really nicezer0systm is just really nice
Re: Obama urges longer school hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narutodemon View Post
This is why we take classes when we are junior senior year so we can be prepared for college, but i do not believe in the longer school hours. But i like the idea of teachers getting their merit pay and stuff like that.

EDIT: Our classes at my school are only like 48 mins. long.
The general attention span for someone learning something is 45 minutes before they start to lose interest, that is why your classes run for that time, Increasing the time at school probably isn't the smartest idea, they just have to reshape the way they go about education the kids, longer hours at school will just result in longer classes which will more than likely result in kids learning the same as they are now or less even.
Funding should be dumped evenly among schools, why boost the resources of a school with the most smart kids (I'm not sure if I'm remembering Mibz post bout the way funding is handed out correctly, if not just disregard.) instead of giving it to the school that has to bring their kids level of education up to scratch.

tl;dr: extending school hours will have next to no effect, fix the education system.