Fandom Forums - View Single Post - Such thing as Luck?
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2009, 07:09 PM   #52
Scientia
Francesca

Scientia is on a distinguished roadScientia is on a distinguished road
Re: Such thing as Luck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miburo View Post
Actually, going by the context of the original post, it's safe to say that the discussion is revolving around the definition of luck that goes :" a force that brings good fortune or adversity." And besides, using any other definition of luck would be stupid and I'd have closed the topic if that were the case. It'd be like asking if bagels exist if he was asking if luck as "a chance happening," "events or circumstances that operate for or against an individual," etc. existed. Fucking duh.
When I said, "/Question answered." I meant I answered the question asking "which do you believe in, chance or destiny?" That was actually the more on topic part of my post. I just felt like indicating that technically luck can exist whether it's chance or destiny. Just a different kind of course. Since no one else has throughout the thread. I had no intention for it to be conclusive, and somehow end this "debate." My bad, I should have been more specific by putting the "/Question answered." right after the first part of my post. So yeah, I already knew that.
Quote:
And of course the concept of luck exists. The concept of invisible flying space turtles exists too. That doesn't mean invisible flying space turtles actually exist though. Same thing applies with luck as a force actually existing.
Yes, but that argument is more along the lines of "Chance vs. Destiny." "Luck #1 vs. luck #2." I was simply indicating that no matter which one is the truth, a definition of luck can still exist. It was pretty off topic and useless yeah, but I didn't want to just put my opinion and leave it at that.
Quote:
Also, if one operates under the assumption that there is no god, that wouldn't be a logical argument against luck as a force not existing. It could be a force of nature, like gravity, after all. Non sequitur.
Interesting.
Quote:
However, since there is no evidence of the force of luck existing, the logical thing to do is assume the default stance of non-existence. So, you at least got the conclusion sorta right. ; )
Yay.

Last edited by Scientia; 07-09-2009 at 07:30 PM.
Scientia is offline   Reply With Quote