Fandom Forums - View Single Post - ALL CAPS emails lead to woman's firing
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2009, 07:31 PM   #23
Mal
Scotch

Thanked 10,818 Times in 3,844 Posts
Mal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of light
Re: ALL CAPS emails lead to woman's firing

Quote:
Originally Posted by uchihademon91 View Post
your going by your own opinion. how do you know the majority would interpret capitalization of a whole message as yelling. i would certainly find it wierd, but wouldnt take it as them yelling.
It's not my opinion that the majority would interpret it as yelling.
Quote:
you have no proof that the majority of people would interpret capitalization of an entire message as yelling. just cuz her workplace did, doesnt mean the majority of the populous does. as that was decided indirectly by the courts opinion.
"Proof" cannot exist for inductive conclusions, but I do have evidence:
Quote:
This form of typography also appears in on-line forums. It was once an inevitable byproduct of using machines with limited support for lowercase text (such as certain dumb terminals, early Apple II models), but as full support of ASCII became standard, it became solely identified with "shouting" or attention-seeking behaviour. As a result, netiquette generally discourages the use of all caps.
via Wikipedia
Don't try any tired argument like "Wikipedia isn't an accurate source!!!!1!"

Quote:
your arguement is that im dumb....ok. how is that. because your interpretation of capitalization is different from mine, so your opinion is right and mine is wrong, so that makes me dumb. thats what you are saying.
The fact that you're dumb has nothing to do with my opinion of you, but your complete inability to argue and understand basic logical fallacies, an excellent example of the latter being:
Quote:
the whole opinion a against opinion c arguement. i dont see where your going with that. your saying its wrong that the courts opinion said that the workplaces opinion is wrong, and that in itself is worng, is that what your saying? well thats basically how the world works, its opinion vs opinion all the time.
Here's the breakdown of your initial argument in this portion of the issue:
"Opinion C says Opinion A is wrong, therefore Opinion A is wrong."
It's not the court that is logically fallacious, it's you.
Your argument is similar to:

Albert says '3' is the number "three"
Courtney says '3' is the 7th moon of Jupiter
Courtney is infallible
---------------------------------------------------------
Therefore Albert is wrong.

See how ridiculous your argument looks in that form?
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mal For This Useful Post:
Miburo (09-24-2009)