Fandom Forums - View Single Post - The Legend of Zelda FC
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2009, 03:48 PM   #1606
Spiegel
Pirate King

Thanked 1,771 Times in 928 Posts
Spiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to all
Re: The Legend of Zelda FC

Linearism Is Alive and Well

This article written by The Missing Link

PART 3

Of course, a statement as bold as mine requires at least some validation, yes? (Otherwise, I fear that you’ll all run me out of town before I can tell you all, “Game over, suckers!”) So, let’s show some startling truths here.

So, let’s rewind the clock to 2007 to an interview with Aonuma regarding Twilight Princess’ position within the grand Zelda timeline:

Q: When does Twilight Princess take place?
A: In the world of Ocarina of Time, a hundred and something years later.
Q: And The Wind Waker?
A: The Wind Waker is parallel.... Twilight Princess takes place in the world of Ocarina of Time, a hundred and something years after the peace returned to kid Link’s time. In the last scene of Ocarina of Time, kids Link and Zelda have a little talk, and as a consequence of that talk, their relationship with Ganon takes a whole new direction....
This fits in rather nicely with what Nintendo said much earlier involving Wind Waker and thus establishes most of what we do know about the timeline to date:
Q: Where does The Wind Waker fit into the overall Zelda series timeline?
A: You can think of this game as taking place over a hundred years after Ocarina of Time.... Ocarina of Time basically has two endings of sorts; one has Link as a child and the other has him as an adult. This game, The Wind Waker, takes place a hundred years after the adult Link defeats Ganon at the end of Ocarina.
But now, let’s look forward into the future. Nintendo’s finally given us some indication about the placement of Spirit Tracks in the timeline:
Spirit Tracks takes place 100 years after the events of Phantom Hourglass. Apparently in the land that’s now called Hyrule, the inhabitants had to deal with a vicious Demon King. In the time span between the two games there was an epic battle and the spirits of the land helped take down this evil being. Though they couldn’t kill the beast, they could muster just enough strength and energy to subdue him with chains and shackles and bury him underground. The shackles, extending the land of Hyrule in four different directions, became the Spirit Tracks, and the surrounding community used these tracks as transportation railways.
Now, from these individual quotes, you can come up with the famous six-game partial timeline. It starts with Ocarina of Time and then, along the child timeline, you have Majora’s Mask and Twilight Princess. In the adult timeline, you have Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass, and Spirit Tracks.

Do you see a problem yet? Have you seen just what is wrong about extending this timeline to encompass all 15 games? If you haven’t, fear not. I shall reveal to you the answer using my Book of Secrets.

One Ganondorf Dragmire. Given what we now know about Spirit Tracks, provided that they don’t resurrect him in this game (which appears to be the likely case at this point!), Ganondorf is currently at the bottom of the sea... encased in a thick layer of stone... with the Master Sword jammed into his forehead. And what about Twilight Princess, the current “ending” of our other timeline? Well... to be quite honest... I honestly don’t know what happened to him at the end of the game. He’s... just... standing there, going through his death monologue, with the Master Sword jammed through his stomach... just... standing... there.... But lo and behold, Link then dashes off to stare at Midna’s sexy, new curves, so he and Zelda can’t be too worried about Ganondorf suddenly reanimating himself and wreaking havoc over Hyrule at any moment! Furthermore there’s no hint or suggestion that we’ve merely just sealed him away for “100 years” or only “mostly killed” him. As far as I can tell, no one’s concerned that this ain’t over, and that’s as good of a “the end” as we can have!

And so now, considering the other nine games, just what do you have to work with? Legend of Zelda, A Link to the Past, and Four Swords Adventures all involve Ganondorf somehow taking over Hyrule! However, not a single one of them reveals anything about removing the Master Sword from Ganondorf’s personage. (A few might be crafty to mention that Ganon was, in fact, resurrected in the linked Oracle game, but they resurrected Ganon, not Ganondorf. This besides, Twinrova wouldn’t have been able to pull out the Master Sword from their master’s stomach since the blade can only be held by one who is good, thank you, Ocarina of Time. This is besides the point that Zelda tells you at the end of the Oracles that “wisdom and courage were able to prevent Twinrova’s planned resurrection of Ganon” [emphasis mine]. That means canon suggests that Ganon’s officially gone (again) at the end of the game. Sorry, no dice, guys.)

Is it any reason that we haven’t solved the timeline debacle yet? You hit a roadblock the moment you leave Nintendo’s carefully crafted trail! Given that Nintendo hasn’t declared any resolution to this inherent mystery, you either have to negate that pesky detail about the Master Sword (First Law of Timelinedynamics) or add in a detail about Ganondorf being freed from the blade (Second Law of Timelinedynamics) in order to proceed. (Sure, you could probably nail me on the fact that the game is simply vague on the details of Koume’s and Kotake’s plot to revive Ganon. I’d gladly counter by saying that they were intentionally vague such as not to spoil the secret ending before the proper time, and so Nintendo is in effect throwing themselves onto the mercy of the court, indirectly supporting the Second Law.)

Furthermore, I would also place a friendly wager on the statement that this stalemate will never be resolved, even with Nintendo’s best intentions otherwise. (Though please, pretty please, don’t bother contacting me to establish any sort of bets on the issue.) While Ocarina of Time was kind enough to only seal Ganondorf away for years upon years upon the game’s denouement, it would be extremely tacky of Nintendo to start pulling this trick after every single game featuring Ganondorf from here on out. Can you imagine this!? It’d become some horrible Internet meme about how Ganondorf the Rather Unlucky can’t seem to get a break by either getting himself killed off or actually managing to succeed in his quest to have a lifestyle of the rich and famous. (No wonder he’s so emo in Wind Waker!)

If you want more, we can take a quick peek at Spirit Tracks for a moment. From what we know, Spirit Tracks is at least a good 200 and more years from Ocarina of Time’s adult ending. Now, over the course of this period of time, Hyrule had to go through many a difficult time. First, they had to completely rebuild Hyrule after Ganondorf sacked it in Ocarina (remember how Castle Town was practically ruined, not to mention the Zoras encased in ice and whatnot?). And of course, they had to completely rebuild the castle (since, naturally, it appears in Wind Waker... right alongside Ganon’s Tower). Probably not long after that, Ganondorf manages to break free from his Evil Realm prison and almost conquers Hyrule, but the goddesses smack him on the hands and “flood” Hyrule. We go through Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass above the waves, just like normal... and then, many years later, we actually establish a new Hyrule... only to be plunged into another war against the Demon King there! And then finally (FINALLY! Take a deep breath...) Hyrule gets a little bit of long-lasting peace. And yet somehow in these 200 and more years, Hyrule managed to invent steam power, y’know, to power Linebeck’s ship and the new Thomas the Tank Engine.

Yet where is steam power in Twilight Princess? Telma’s still using a horse-drawn carriage to go from town to town, and there’s no signs of railroad tracks in sight. Literally, Hyrule was at peace that entire time given that Ganondorf got sent straight to the Twilight Realm (and he didn’t even get to pass Go or collect $200 first either!), and barely anything was damaged in the meanwhile! It should have been a period of renaissance for all of Hyrule, especially considering how well Castle Town seemed to be doing in Twilight Princess, yet it seems that very little advances in technology had actually been made! (Okay, they were able to create the Linkapault that somehow managed to fire him through the air into the desert and somehow not kill him. Besides that!) The only other game to ever establish train tracks are the Oracle series, but those don’t take place in Hyrule, so they don’t count for our purposes. Thus, what do we get in the end? We get an illogical timeline (Zeroth Law of Timelinedynamics).
Pirates are evil? The Marines are righteous? These terms have always changed throughout the course of history! Kids who have never seen peace and kids who have never seen war have different values! Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! This very place is neutral ground! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice!
― Donquixote Doflamingo
*Ex-Kakashi87*
Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote