Fandom Forums - View Single Post - Jesus, not the first
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2009, 03:53 PM   #30
Mal
Scotch

Thanked 10,817 Times in 3,843 Posts
Mal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Jesus, not the first

1) You still haven't told us why those dates mean anything.

2) In the beginning of The Davinci Code, Dan Brown has written that everything is true. This is not the case, so surely a genius such as yourself can see the fallacy in saying "this book says it is true, and if the book is true, it must be true." Even just typing that makes me feel retarded.

3) You're ignoring the fact that verse 10 is the second half of verse 9.
Quote:
{9} For we know in part and we prophesy in part, {10} but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears.
The Message translates it as:
Quote:
We know only a portion of the truth, and what we say about God is always incomplete. But when the Complete arrives, our incompletes will be canceled.
To my understanding, the verse is talking about prophesy and our ideas of God: when the perfect (God) comes, the imperfect (our human ideas of God) disappears.

4) You expected us to not "flame" you for stupidity? Are you serious?

5)
Quote:
Your correspondent is deeply confused. The KJV has a long history in the English language and many Protestant Christians are deeply attached to that translation because of its beauty and long established use. It is not, however, the most accurate translation available. The New Revised Standard Version (NRSV) and the NAB are both better.

The problem with the KJV is basically that it is an okay translation of a bad text. By “bad text,” I mean that when the KJV translators worked, they had very few Greek and Hebrew manuscripts to work with, and most of them were late. Since then (1611), scholars have made a tremendous effort to uncover older, more reliable manuscripts that have been hidden in monasteries all over Europe and the Near East. Great progress was made in the 19th and 20th centuries, and we now have several thousand manuscripts of the New Testament alone (the KJV translators had a mere handful). All these manuscripts have been carefully compared with one another and, through a process known as “textual criticism,” scholars have determined which are the more reliable texts and reconstructed as closely as possible what the biblical writers originally wrote.
- God Is For Suckers
P.S. I'm loving that you didn't even try to hide the fact that you just copy-pastsa'd that huge block of text. Seriously, put it in quotes, or at least remove the citations, Mr. Genius.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mal For This Useful Post:
manta (01-05-2010), Miburo (12-17-2009), saiyaman (03-31-2010), Vengeance (08-09-2011)