Fandom Forums - View Single Post - Is it possible for man to live a moral life without religion?
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2010, 10:55 PM   #8
Nerox
Mah'alleinir

Thanked 2,674 Times in 1,264 Posts
Nerox will become famous soon enoughNerox will become famous soon enoughNerox will become famous soon enough
Re: Is it possible for man to live a moral life without religion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuna View Post

Ignoring the semantics of his statement, I don't think it was to point out that those three religions were larger in followers than others. Rather, I think he was referring to the fact that in discussions of religion, you will sooner see references to Christianity, Islam, and Judaism, than you would other religions, such as Buddhism, Shinto, etc. It's not the fact that any religion aside from the three he listed is obscure and insignificant, but rather that those three are not only more recognized in society, but that the general public are more familiar with them than they are with others.

This is speaking from a Western standpoint, of course - "The Big Three" here only applies to countries in which these are the most prevalent religions. You'll hardly see people in East Asia, for example, to find Islam or Judaism more recognizable than their own national religions. Japan, for example, would identify more readily with Buddhism, Shinto, and in recent years, Christianity. So in that case, it's also an issue of one's environment and societal background.
hehe you edited the last paragraph ^^ was about to answer with the point of view too. and yes, i know TU meant that, i was just pointing out some weaknessess in his argument, but didn't put all into it, cause it is your discussion. thanks though
Nerox is offline   Reply With Quote