Fandom Forums - View Single Post - Is it possible for man to live a moral life without religion?
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2010, 11:41 PM   #15
Miburo
Deos Fortioribus Adesse

Thanked 17,679 Times in 5,440 Posts
Miburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is it possible for man to live a moral life without religion?

Just out of curiosity, is English not your first language, dude?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueUCHIHA View Post
Lets assume for this situation by moral i am talking about positive morality by todays standards. As i said before morality and religion have become so intertwined that if a man was to lead a moral life by todays standards and didnt believe in or profess a god dos not mean that he is living a moral life absent of religion. He is simply living a moral life in which the belief and/or fear God is not the reason for his morality, however the man is still influnced by religion wether it be based of the law or some thing else which is ultimatley linked to religion.
How are they intertwined if you can easily and rationally separate morality from religion? For example:

Quote:
A perfect example is this

"There was a billboard in NYC subway station from an atheist group:
“A Million New Yorkers Are Good Without God. Are You?” -This illustratres that Athiest can not believe in God and still be "good" yet it also illustrates that so many assoscitate That the sense of Good is tied to religion. And not just religon now. All religion from Zoroastrianism to Shinto.
This is a simple bandwagon fallacy. You're saying that many people associate morality with religion, therefore that means something. It doesn't. That's a logically fallacious claim.

What other people believe is irrelevant, since that doesn't make it true. Yes, many people erroneously link morality to religion. That simply isn't the case. I lead a relatively moral life by today's standards without any religious belief whatsoever. None of my actions or beliefs are influenced by a faith in religion.

Religion isn't some magical concept. They are just like any other philosophical belief system. Their existence doesn't monopolize other ideals. And me being aware of them doesn't mean I am magically influenced by them in some way either. Societal values may be influenced by them, but that also doesn't effect my personal beliefs. I can simply adhere to particular moral guidelines because I find them rational, or because they are what I would like to strive to adhere to, or whatever. Without any religious influence.

For fuck's sake, there are philosophies on virtue and morality that are based on reasoning that has no influence by religion. If I lived on an island by myself my entire life, with only a book describing virtue theories of aristotle, and then adhered to them. Then bam, no religious influences on me at all. And I'm still pretty damn moral. You might bullshit and say that ancient greeks had religion and therefore aristotle was influenced by it, or whatever. But that wouldn't matter since I wouldn't know anything about their religion, and his virtue theory doesn't reference religion at all. I'd have no clue as to religions existence. I'd only be exposed to a rational morality. There you go. Morality without religion.

Quote:
And as for this of course i will not be able to thouroughly prove that Men have been non savage with out religion, mostly because humans have had beliefs in an after world/God system since the dawn of time.I dont know what the quality of life was without religion but for a clue we can only look to the animals.
No, we can't. Animals don't have anywhere near the same capacity to reason as we do. That probably has just a bit more to do with their 'quality of life' than the lack of religion...
Miburo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Miburo For This Useful Post:
ACt (07-12-2010), Numinous (07-12-2010), Vengeance (07-12-2010)