Fandom Forums - View Single Post - Is it possible for man to live a moral life without religion?
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2010, 11:05 AM   #49
Miburo
Deos Fortioribus Adesse

Thanked 17,679 Times in 5,440 Posts
Miburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is it possible for man to live a moral life without religion?

On my lunchbreak. Will rape some faces real quick though.

Hey, L&O, just because the topic has "religion" in the title doesn't mean your default response to it should be talk about how stupid religion is (Don't get me wrong, I think it's stupid too.).

Topic is asking if it's possible for man to live a moral life without religion. Going into the evils of religion and faith doesn't really address that...you know, at all. Don't be an idiot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubborn_d0nkey View Post
Nurture is what shapes a big portion of a person’s morality. This holds for both religious and nonreligious people. Nurture comes from your family, and your society. This is why religion has had an influence on everybody’s morality. It didn’t have to be a direct influence (you being religious), but it could come indirectly. It could come from your surroundings, if it’s religious, however that is not the only way, and not the most prominent way.

I think we can all agree that every religion has its own morality that it tries to propagate. Even though you might not be religious, people in your society might not be religious, even if the same holds for your parents and grandparents etc., and their parents and grandparents etc ., some way down the line your ancestors were religious (if not, I must say WOW!!!!). Religion influenced their morality, and through nurture that same influence came to you, which is why religion as influenced the morality of everybody. It doesn’t necessarily define a person’s morality, but influence’s it.
You know we're talking about morality right? You know, a personal code of conduct. We're not talking about behavior traits or something that would actually make sense to use the nature/nurture shit on. A person ultimately decides on his own what his personal morality is. It isn't decided for him.

Just because people are raised to believe in the tooth fairy doesn't mean they'll go through life believing in the tooth fairy. Same concept applies here. If you're raised being taught certain things are right and wrong, you can still later decide that you don't believe in any of that shit and choose your own morals to adhere to.

Your personal morality isn't something that is imprinted on you. It's something you decide on your own. We're talking about morality. That's the topic of this thread. How you were raised might effect a number of things. But it doesn't mean there is a direct effect on your morality itself, since humans are capable of reason and thinking on their own. Not that they all use it, but they are still capable of it.

You'll pretty much have to show that we're not capable of thinking for ourselves in regards to making fully conscious decisions if you're going to disagree with what I've just wrote.

Quote:
I myself despise arguments like “everybody says…” “most people believe…”, however when dealing with (general) morality they can’t be dismissed as easily as in other debates. Yeah the don’t prove something true, but when talking about morality it is usually close to impossible, if not impossible, to prove something true (ex. abortion again)
The only time someone made a comment of what the general people believed in this thread was when TU was talking about people associating religion with morality. Not about what the general moral beliefs are of some particular culture.

And you can show that a particular morality is logical or not based on the reasoning behind it. Which is what debates about moralities revolve around.

Quote:
Also often, one exception doesn’t disprove an argument about “general” morality as it does with other things (like seeing one blue elephant automatically disproves the statement: all elephants are pink)
Uh, alright, whatever. Thanks for trying to share, I guess. Don't see why you're bringing this up. But whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueUCHIHA View Post
Hey...i hope you all dont think this is over. i forgot that every one on this forum is athiest. Next time ill pick a less one sided arguement
This should be pretty obvious to almost everyone by now, but you don't seem to know how debates actually work. How many people agree with you doesn't matter. What matters is that your arguments are actually logical.
Miburo is offline   Reply With Quote