Fandom Forums - View Single Post - Is it possible for man to live a moral life without religion?
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2010, 01:56 PM   #57
RNB
El Topo

Thanked 1,887 Times in 822 Posts
RNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the rough
Re: Is it possible for man to live a moral life without religion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law&Order View Post
When I see the question I read it as this. Is it possible for man to live a moral life without Faith? I say no. Everyone has Faith in something and this shapes their morality. Whether it is faith in yourself, faith in your god, faith in your community, faith in the government or faith in nothing at all. It is this faith that bring you to what is your own personal right or wrong.
If we are talking of faith as irrational belief than you are wrong. If you mean faith as in belief in general, than you would be right. You have to have values in order to be moral. I don't think that this "belief in general" was what the OP meant. He was likening it to religious belief, so the discussion would be on irrational belief.

Secondly, there is no such thing as "faith in nothing." You cannot "believe in nothing." Belief is an affirming action. When you say, "faith in nothing" the correct way to phrase that would be to "not believe." The way you phrase it makes it seem like it is related to faith, except when you look at what the statement actually means, it means non-belief. Non-belief is not related to faith at all since faith is a form of belief.

Quote:
You can! Exactly. You can, and you probably will change your opinion on some things. However, do you really think anybody has ever completely changed their whole morality from what they were taught? Or even a bigger portion of it? I would say no. Nurture DOES have an effect on your morality, if you think otherwise you are..... Would any random person have the same morality if they grew up and lived where you did, or in a cannibalistic tribe? No. if you think yes, you are.....
This is only correct if one is choosing his morality based on subconscious beliefs. A conscious chooser would choose his morality based on reason, whereas one who chose on subconscious feelings would be choosing his morality based on influences.

Let me demonstrate. We ask 100 people whether killing is wrong based on how they feel towards it. You will probably get some mixed results spanning from "absolutely wrong" to "sometimes just" and maybe you will get some crazy nut who believes everyone should die. Now if we ask 100 people what two plus two equals, what do you think their answers will be? Their might be a few oddballs or jokers, but a hell of a lot will say four. One is devoid of conscious problem-solving and the other is devoid of subconscious feeling.

- Heraclitus

Last edited by RNB; 07-12-2010 at 02:08 PM.
RNB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RNB For This Useful Post:
ACt (07-12-2010), Miburo (07-12-2010), stubborn_d0nkey (07-12-2010)