Fandom Forums - View Single Post - Is it possible for man to live a moral life without religion?
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2010, 05:53 PM   #69
Law&Order
Fear the Beard!

Law&Order will become famous soon enoughLaw&Order will become famous soon enough
Re: Is it possible for man to live a moral life without religion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miburo View Post
Oh yeah, definitely agree. I completely support the idea of an objective morality in that sense.

I think the problem I have is that when I actually try to apply it in real world situations then it doesn't seem extremely useful to a society and shit. Like, I can think of situations where stealing would be a rational way to go about obtaining something that would bring you happiness. But a society where people steal things doesn't sound so great. I can then try to solve this by redefining happiness by stating something like true happiness would be found by earning the item through hard work. But then I can think of situations where that doesn't fit too well either.

I suppose, in that particular scenario, I could just say that stealing is okay. And the fact that other people wouldn't want their shit stolen would cause them to just find ways of preventing it from happening. So shit would solve itself as far as society's needs are concerned. Which I can roll with. But I'm pretty sure a lot of people would disagree.

I dunno. But yeah, I guess I do support the idea of an objective morality after all.
Stealing would be ok unless it happened to you. Then it would become immoral again. So do you define is as things you don't want others to do to you?

Chuck Norris can judge a book by its cover!

- Warning -
“Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, because he only recognizes the element of surprise."

Law&Order is offline   Reply With Quote