Fandom Forums - View Single Post - Ken Robinson: Changing Education Paradigms
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2010, 08:40 PM   #3
Axiom
[something clever]

Axiom is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Ken Robinson: Changing Education Paradigms

You don't think because I posted it, I mean to agree verbatim? That is not the case. It was front page when I logged on at lunch, and thought it was interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
I fear that many people will see this as an argument in favour of today's increasingly individualist approach to education. Let the children learn what they want, keep them interested in education by allowing them the freedom to choose their curriculum. What many people fail to understand is that, despite being painted in a negative light by Sir Robinson, there frequently is one answer.
I agree with you that the concept of a heavily individualized education system should not be taken into consideration lightly. Taking it one step further, that logistically at a point it would not even be feasible.

Nonetheless I don't see the harm in close evaluation of the system in place. Agreeing with Ken Robinson on his point of kids having different learning styles, and it being critical to at least try to have an environment accommodating to all. Personally I have always leaned towards an auditory learning experience, enjoying verbal interaction through discussion above others. Plus someone like me who took my time in school for granted. It was not until after I graduated from high school that a real appreciation for the opportunity came about.

Many things should be standard with out a doubt. History, the Sciences basic Maths including Algebra/Geometry. English classes for reading comprehension, vocab, and literary interpretation. Beyond those which we can consider necessary to produce a well rounded individual. Perhaps another more adaptive, and interactive curriculum can be created that co-exists along side the 'standard'. One that is capable of identifying and grouping children with like abilities/interests/learning styles(though I can see that being a slippery slope). Having the flexibility to cater to needs not present in the 'standard'.

Quote:
It is certainly incredibly important for children and teens to learn that there are multitudes of ways to solve many problems, but teaching them this must be done very carefully. The last thing we need is an entire generation unable to discern the difference between concrete fact and whimsical opinion or belief.
Agreed. Like I stated in the debates section. Lateral thinking or "divergent" as he said. Is a powerful and often integral part of problem solving process. As it helps imagine new and possibly fruitful roads to travel. However without a logical process to follow after the fact. It is difficult to progress along any of said roads.

Last edited by Axiom; 11-08-2010 at 10:14 PM.
Axiom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Axiom For This Useful Post:
Mal (11-09-2010)