Fandom Forums - View Single Post - Tigers could be extinct in 12 years
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2010, 08:37 PM   #5
ask me anything
Simply AMAzing

Thanked 3,649 Times in 1,598 Posts
ask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really nice
Re: Tigers could be extinct in 12 years

Habitation loss is also a factor. I did a little more reading into the issue, and found that the Tiger population has fallen over 60% in India over the recent years. This was contributed mainly to poaching. It seems there are several areas of the Tigers natural habitat that have been set aside for them, so that's not as much of a critical factor as poaching.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger#India

Quote:
A major concerted conservation effort, known as Project Tiger, has been underway since 1973, initially spearheaded by Indira Gandhi. The fundamental accomplishment has been the establishment of over 25 well-monitored tiger reserves in reclaimed land where human development is categorically forbidden. The program has been credited with tripling the number of wild Bengal tigers from roughly 1,200 in 1973 to over 3,500 in the 1990s. However, a tiger census carried out in 2007, whose report was published on February 12, 2008, stated that the wild tiger population in India declined by 60% to approximately 1,411. it is noted in the report that the decrease of tiger population can be attributed directly to poaching.

Last edited by ask me anything; 11-21-2010 at 11:06 PM.
ask me anything is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ask me anything For This Useful Post:
01purple (11-21-2010), ACt (11-21-2010), KillerNN (11-21-2010)