Fandom Forums - View Single Post - Funimation Sues 1,337 BitTorrent Users Over One Piece
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2011, 12:04 AM   #12
ask me anything
Simply AMAzing

Thanked 3,657 Times in 1,600 Posts
ask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really nice
Re: Funimation Sues 1,337 BitTorrent Users Over One Piece

This reminds me of that woman who got sued over downloading songs a while back.

Really Funimation shouldn't have a chance in court, despite the law technically being on their side here. Owning a copyright is only half of the equation. How well you defend it is the other half. If there has been a history of people using that intellectual property without the owner challenging it in courts, that has merit over future use of that property.

I don't know if this torrent site just started offering One Piece for download, but I doubt it. If that were the case then yeah, Funimation would be in the right here, or if they only became aware of this site just recently. If however they've offered every episode for download for some time now, without Funimation taking action, then that hurts their claim. It raises the question "why wait until the 481st episode"? What about the 480 previous episodes? Were they any less infringing on the copyright and why not sue before. That's the kinda shit that hurts them in court cases.

This whole thing feels like a big shakeup anyway. Just some douche trying to make an example.

ask me anything is offline   Reply With Quote