View Single Post
Old 04-08-2011, 09:00 AM   #13
AniMeFaN
Chuunin

AniMeFaN is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 48÷2(9+3) = ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numinous View Post
Except nobody (after elementary school or junior high in some cases) uses them like that. Did you see the fraction I posted (although is a little blurry, damn google image betrayed me)? That's how people present division in a way that is clear to everyone.
so the sign for division(÷) is unclear and faulty? its not clearly saying divide and the other symbol / does not mean the exact same thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numinous View Post
That's fallacious to think. Mathematic is indeed a universal language, since it uses the same symbols in the same processes. But like any language, some stuff varies from region to region. Some regions give priority to division, others to multiplications, some to addition, others to subtraction. The difference in the final result should be nonexistent if the math problem is presented in an adequate form, which isn't the case here. Which reminds me of another thing this thing lacks: more brackets.
i was under the impression that the universal rules were all the same to solve a math equation. you know multiplication and division being equal but i guess your country decided to do math their own way.
AniMeFaN is offline   Reply With Quote