Fandom Forums - View Single Post - 48÷2(9+3) = D'awww
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2011, 09:15 AM   #14
Numinous
Writing speed: snail

Thanked 11,563 Times in 3,932 Posts
Numinous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 48÷2(9+3) = ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by AniMeFaN View Post
so the sign for division(÷) is unclear and faulty? its not clearly saying divide and the other symbol / does not mean the exact same thing?
Yes, both are the same thing, but I haven't seen ÷ in ages on math problems and / is faulty if the proper annotations are missing.

Let us take for example 2/3*4=?

What does this mean? Is it two thirds times four or two divided by the product of multiplying 3 with 4? Nobody knows, because it lacks brackets.

So it should be either (2/3)*4 or 2/(3*4). See? That's how math works, genius.

Quote:
you know multiplication and division being equal but i guess your country decided to do math their own way.
Yes, they are, but I think you're not getting what I'm saying.

Let us take another example: (2*3)+(4/5)

Which operation takes priority while solving the problem? Some people go straight to the multiplication, while others prefer to tackle the division first. The result will be the same, but the process of solving it will be different.

Now if you take a piss poor math equation like yours, people that learn to do the multiplication first will do it and get 2, while others, like kluang and myself, would tackle the division first and get 288, and the difference shouldn't happen. Who's fault is it? Not ours, that's for sure.

Water of Ocean Darkest Chapters: 1 - 2
Weaver Chapters: 0 - 1 - 2 - 3

Last edited by Numinous; 04-08-2011 at 09:17 AM.
Numinous is offline   Reply With Quote