Fandom Forums - View Single Post - 48÷2(9+3) = D'awww
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2011, 09:45 AM   #18
Numinous
Writing speed: snail

Thanked 11,563 Times in 3,932 Posts
Numinous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 48÷2(9+3) = ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by AniMeFaN View Post
actually thats not how math works, it would be (2/3)*4
That's because you are inclined for it to be (2/3)*4. The fact is, without the appropriate annotations, the equation that I presented is ambiguous, so (2/3)*4 and 2/(3*4) have the same weight in the validity of the answer.

Quote:
you do what ever is in the parentheses and then add them both. nothing really to think about here.
I just presented a simple example. But if you don't trust me on this interchangeability, just look at wikipedia:

Quote:
Mnemonics are often used to help students remember the rules, but the rules taught by the use of acronyms can be misleading. In the United States, the acronym PEMDAS or "Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally" is common. It stands for Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication, Division, Addition, Subtraction. In other English speaking countries, Parentheses may be called Brackets, or symbols of inclusion and Exponentiation may be called either Indices, Powers or Orders, and since multiplication and division are of equal precedence, M and D are often interchanged, leading to such acronyms as BEDMAS, BIDMAS, BIMDAS, BODMAS, BOMDAS, BERDMAS, PERDMAS, and BPODMAS.
So doing the multiplication or the division first shouldn't be a problem, since they are of equal importance and everybody should come up with the same answer since they (should) follow the same rules. But 2 and 288 have the same validity as answers to your equation, which shouldn't happen if the equation wasn't faulty in the first place.

Quote:
Really, a discussion with animefan again?
And about "intelligence", no less. It's a pattern!

Water of Ocean Darkest Chapters: 1 - 2
Weaver Chapters: 0 - 1 - 2 - 3

Last edited by Numinous; 04-08-2011 at 09:46 AM.
Numinous is offline   Reply With Quote