Fandom Forums - View Single Post - 48÷2(9+3) = D'awww
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2011, 05:49 PM   #107
ninjalostboy95
Moe game on point

Thanked 4,705 Times in 2,857 Posts
ninjalostboy95 is just really niceninjalostboy95 is just really niceninjalostboy95 is just really niceninjalostboy95 is just really niceninjalostboy95 is just really niceninjalostboy95 is just really niceninjalostboy95 is just really nice
Re: 48÷2(9+3) = ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by kael03 View Post
PEMDAS is supposed to eliminate each part of the equation, meaning you get rid of the parenthesis first, meaning you multiply the 2 with the result of the parenthesis.
You said it yourself, you're multiplying the two with the sum of 9 and 3. MULTIPLYING. When you add the 9 and 3, you SIMPLIFY the parenthesis(as you're supposed to.) Shouldn't you do division first since it's dividing first? Last I checked, 2 wasn't in parenthesis. My math teacher would've failed you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kael03 View Post
But, like num said, the problem is poorly structured and people will solve it different ways. My way, which eliminates the parenthesis (as you're supposed to) comes up with 2. If it wasn't poorly structured then there wouldn't be 4 damn answers.
Google the answer(It's a calculator btw) and tell me your answer. Let's see who's right. With PEMDAS, it's read as (48/2)*(9+3). You can only get 2 if it was 48/(2(9+3)). Simple shit.
ninjalostboy95 is offline   Reply With Quote