Fandom Forums - View Single Post - Jesus, not the first
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2011, 07:46 PM   #75
UchihaTaijiya
sublimis ab unda

Thanked 3,311 Times in 1,248 Posts
UchihaTaijiya has a reputation beyond reputeUchihaTaijiya has a reputation beyond reputeUchihaTaijiya has a reputation beyond reputeUchihaTaijiya has a reputation beyond reputeUchihaTaijiya has a reputation beyond reputeUchihaTaijiya has a reputation beyond reputeUchihaTaijiya has a reputation beyond reputeUchihaTaijiya has a reputation beyond reputeUchihaTaijiya has a reputation beyond reputeUchihaTaijiya has a reputation beyond reputeUchihaTaijiya has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jesus, not the first

Yeah. I actually used to know Franky pretty well in high school. He's this short, red haired guy who had a huge crush on me. And he had a great sense of humor. I so don't know when he became this way. Must have something with him going to an Alabama University. 8] I kid. But seriously... I co-sign your reaction: HOLY SHIT T_T

One of the sanest remarks from that convo was from Jim: Jim
I was going to post a flippant remark on sovereignty, but then I read the conversation. Wow. At a certain point the question ceases to be 'how sick is your god' and becomes 'how sick are you'. Those who worship a genocidal, murdering pedophile really ought to ask themselves, "How sick is this that I'm doing?"

Here's the end of the convo:
--------------------------------------------
Franky
Joseph, I worship Christ Crucified. That death was the greatest wrong ever committed. Are you suggesting that God's hands are not behind it?
July 10 at 4:19pm · Like

Cameron
Adam made the choice...now we are all destined to pay for that choice!
July 10 at 4:47pm · Like

William
Franky Garcia et alii:
July 10 at 5:48pm · Like

William
The fact that a conception of God is harder to swallow is, at best, tangentially relevant. Why do you have to follow only a God that fits into nice, neat, logically secure and sweepingly majestic conception of God, from your point? Really. Do you want to follow goodness, or the most powerful thing? If you require logical neatness, great power, mind boggling strength, security, etc... couldn't that be getting in the way of seeing truth or following goodness? I don't buy into determinism, not because I want freedom. Personally I think freedom, and especially my own isn't worth a jar of spit.
July 10 at 5:52pm · Like

William
I don't buy into it, because the argument from the greatest strength doesn't move me. So what, a thing can be strong, sovereign, etc etc, and very much evil. There could also be a God that has chosen, or is confined by His own actions and commitments, but who is merciful, kind, tender and loving. Of course, there are thousands of possibilities in between. I just don't trust the urge to staple God to a board and dissect Him for my own security, or so that I can feel vindicated.
July 10 at 5:56pm · Like

William
And when people invoke wish fulfillment as a grounds for questioning or dismissing others positions (an ad hominem, by the way) be very sure that your commitments aren't just based on your own wish fulfillment desires. I've learned too much about myself and others, personally, to not think most of what we all believe is ultimately just an attempt to fashion a world after our own image.
July 10 at 6:00pm · Like

William
Oh, and so many of these arguments are just: This is my definition of God, if He doesn't fit that then He isn't God and/or I have no obligations toward Him. Totally doesn't follow from anyone's arguments and is a crappy argument from either side. If there is a God (I feel there is, of some kind, I'm just not sure what that means, though I feel pretty confident in a Christian conception) then what He/She/It is is wholly independent from what we want God to be, and any ethical obligations that puts on us are wholly independent of whether we want them or not. From my perspective, any conception of God is problematic, and ultimately I have my own dim wits and the movements of my heart to go on, and very little else when it comes to understanding that. So we are all pretty well in the same boat on that score. What I do know from personal experience is that if my strongest motivations for accepting a position aren't honesty, the hunger for truth, the thirst for real goodness, basic and strong ethical commitments, and a radical understanding of the tragedy and brokenness of the world alongside the desire to see it healed, then I'm inevitably spinning my wheels and spiritually and emotionally jerking myself off. It's harder to accept ignorance, limitation, brokenness, sorrow, and confusion than it is to convince yourself you have a good grip and that being right and secure are better.
July 10 at 6:12pm · Like

Cameron
the problem is how can our definitions of kind, tender, and loving be applied to the creator of everything? The only dissecting of God agree with is scripture... just because we think something is mean, does not mean that the creator of the universe can also be given that same description!
July 10 at 6:31pm · Like

William
Maybe, but ultimately we all proceed on our own dull wits. So in some sense I agree with you. BUT, that a thing created the world doesn't imply we SHOULD worship it. That that thing tells me I should show gratitude, doesn't imply that I have to, or that it is right to do so. A thought experiment: A Creator makes all of mankind just to serve as snacks at an intergalactic pit stop. Does that mean that we should be okay with that?
July 10 at 6:34pm · Like

William
And as for the "He does it for the glory" explanation, I don't buy it. It makes God sound like a gangbanger. I think it's just one of many theological solutions that's really just weaseling out of the real answer: We are in no position to know. As with almost everything important in life.
July 10 at 6:41pm · Like

Cameron
right...we should worship God because he sent his son to die for our sins...we are all sinners deserving of the lowest pit of Hell. Would you agree with that at least?
July 10 at 6:48pm · Like

William
I would agree that I have done some things in MY life that have earned MY destruction.
July 10 at 7:07pm · Like

And I am dreaming of them on the plains
Dirtying up their beds
Watching for some sign of rain to cool their hot heads

And how dare that you send me that card when I'm doing all that I can do
You are forcing me to remember when all I want is to just forget you

If the tiger shall protect her young then tell me how did you slip by
All my instincts have failed me for once
I must have somehow slept the whole night

And I am dreaming of them with their kill
Tearing it all apart
Blood dripping from their lips and teeth sinking into heart

And how dare that you say you'll call
When you know I need some peace of mind
If you have to take sides with the animals
Won't you do it with one who is kind

And if the hawks in the trees need the dead
If you're living you don't stand a chance
For a time though you share the same bed
There are only two ends to this dance

You can flee with your wounds just in time or lie there as he feeds
Watching yourself ripped to shreds and laughing as you bleed

So for those of you falling in love keep it kind
Keep it good
Keep it right
Throw yourself in the midst of danger but keep one eye open at night

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UchihaTaijiya For This Useful Post:
Miburo (07-31-2011), Skullbat01 (07-31-2011)