Fandom Forums - View Single Post - Scientists Worry over 'Bizarre' Trial for Failing to Predict Earthquake
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2011, 03:50 PM   #1
ACt
Heart Wizard

Thanked 18,598 Times in 4,839 Posts
ACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really nice
Scientists Worry over 'Bizarre' Trial for Failing to Predict Earthquake

This story just makes me angry on so many levels and highlights the simple truth that people have no concept or ability to deal with the word "risk".

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/scientists-...140222748.html

Also, fuck Italy.

Quote:
Six Italian scientists and one government official are set to go to trial today in Italy (Sept. 20) on charges of manslaughter for not warning the public aggressively enough of an impending earthquake that killed more than 300 people in 2009.

While such a trial is unlikely on U.S. soil, experts say, American geologists and seismologists are watching closely, surprised at a legal system that would attempt to criminalize something as uncertain as earthquake prediction.

"Our ability to predict earthquake hazards is, frankly, lousy," said Seth Stein, a professor of Earth sciences at Northwestern University in Illinois. "Criminalizing something would only make sense if we really knew how to do this and someone did it wrong."

Henry Pollack, a professor of geology at the University of Michigan, echoed Stein's concerns.

"The whole thing seems bizarre to me," Pollack told LiveScience.

<continued in link>
I'm constantly changing from calm to ill
Madness fills my heart and soul as if the great divide could swallow me whole
oh, how I'm breaking down
ACt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ACt For This Useful Post:
ask me anything (09-22-2011), Axiom (09-22-2011), ExplosiveArt (09-30-2011), kluang (09-22-2011), Mal (09-22-2011), Nerox (09-22-2011), stubborn_d0nkey (09-24-2011)