Fandom Forums - View Single Post - Death Penalty
Thread: Death Penalty
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2011, 11:49 AM   #5
ask me anything
Simply AMAzing

Thanked 3,660 Times in 1,601 Posts
ask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really nice
Re: Death Penalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxMESTxx View Post
I'll go ahead and tell you I'm completely for it, but for the sake of the argument.
Devils advocate eh? OK, I'll play along.

Quote:
So who decides if the crime warrants it?
That's should be obvious. If the crime involves the willful and deliberate taking of life, then that deserves the death penalty. Murder in general warrants this, except in certain cases where it was caused through negligence.

Quote:
Showing that our system is flawed, and with the death penalty in place, we still have the possibility of killing an innocent man.
There's always that possibility, an in truth there's no way to be 100% sure of a persons guilt. However their are ways of minimizing the risk. SEE BELOW.

Quote:
I don't really get what you mean by third party. Like a federal group?
Correct. Most innocent people that get convicted, are due to shitty investigations by local or state police. While it isn't as likely to happen today, their are a multitude of cases in the past where a crime was "pinned on the black guy". Racist local cops exist. Or at least shitty deadbeat cops exist. Should a murder case that might involve the death sentence really be put in the hands of some small town sheriff department, that might not have the resources to investigate properly, and has the potential risk to bring local politics into the situation. After all, the sheriff wants to be reelected for his next term, and convicting a popular guy in town or maybe his own supporter doesn't help him. It far better to have somebody that isn't biased in the case and has nothing to gain or lose, to do the investigation.

Quote:
That's the point of an appeal. If you have a halfway decent lawyer then there isn't any reason for no new evidence to be brought up. It still may not outweigh the evidence stacked against him though.
The appeal process doesn't actively seek to find new evidence. Only way that's going to happen is if you pay a private investigator to look into it for you, and that's takes money. If you're some poor dude locked up in jail, you have no money and no way of making any. Is it really fair that someone who has that money can afford to investigate, while the poor guy can't. Everybody deserves equal rights under the law. Whether or not you can afford to prove your innocence shouldn't be a matter of economic prosperity, but a right that's granted to you. That's means that law enforcement should actively reopen the cases of death row inmates as a public service to those inmates for the sake of justice.

Quote:
Well if it's not morally correct to kill a guy, then why is ok for our government to do so?
The punishment must fit the crime. It's just that simple. Executions not only punish that individual people, but help prevent future crimes. Knowing that your state has no problems killing you, should have a significant effect on your choice to kill someone. So if one death can prevent future deaths, I see that as morally acceptable.
Quote:
So you prefer to kill him and let him take the easy way out? It would be way more satisfying to have that dude rotting in a jail cell for the rest of his life, miserable until the day he dies. Why should money play a role in this at all? Can a persons life be bought and payed for? No. That would be putting money>life. Which do you think is more important?
There's nothing easy about death. Most people value their own lives. I know I'll fight tooth and nail to stay alive. So the notion that death is an easy way out is absolutely absurd.

As for money playing a role in it, yeah it does. On average it's cost over $25,000 a year to house an inmate, and their are over 3,200 people on death row. Do the math. That's over 80 million dollars that could be spent on more important things......like crime prevention programs.

Last edited by ask me anything; 11-15-2011 at 11:51 AM.
ask me anything is offline   Reply With Quote