Fandom Forums - View Single Post - Us government's trick to violate civil liberties
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2011, 01:55 PM   #29
Miburo
Deos Fortioribus Adesse

Thanked 17,679 Times in 5,440 Posts
Miburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Us government's trick to violate civil liberties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
There are reasonable points at the base of it, but they've since been buried by people who have just failed at life and are looking for someone to blame. Keeping in mind I am doing my best to avoid the Fundamental Attribution Error, I can't help but think life is much easier than they're making it seem. Then again, I've been paying more attention to the Canadian equivalent, and I'm not sure how bad things are in the US.
I also dislike it when people divert blame off themselves and whatnot, since it's UNMANLY, but I'd say there are plenty of legit scenarios where people can 'fail at life,' which I assume you're referring to financial success given the context, where they really couldn't reasonably avoid it on their own.

Without any specific examples I can't address anything specifically. So, broadly speaking, it's not like everyone can be rich if they work hard and do their very best and shit. For our society to function there pretty much has to be people that get stuck in shit jobs that get shit pay. Cashiers, garbage men, etc. I don't think I need to really elaborate. That alone should be sufficient evidence that not everyone can be financially well off with hard work alone; that not everyone who is poor is a lazy loser that should pull himself up by his bootstraps or whatever.

When you add that to a pretty high unemployment rate, continual rising costs of healthcare in a nation with no universal system for some stupid reason (A lot of people can't afford preventative treatment, a medical problem can easily lead to financial ruin, etc.), crazy level of income and social inequality, and so on it's easy to see where a lot of people can actually become unable to better their situations despite their best efforts.

Sure, it's definitely possible for people to work their way up in life from near hopeless soul-crushing poverty to becoming reasonably wealthy. But for every success story there are most likely thousands of people who tried just as hard and didn't succeed. I would never call anyone a loser for simply not succeeding. And I'm a dick.
Miburo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Miburo For This Useful Post:
Mal (12-16-2011), Numinous (12-17-2011), Scientia (12-16-2011)