Fandom Forums - View Single Post - Us government's trick to violate civil liberties
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2011, 02:47 PM   #129
Mal
Scotch

Thanked 10,818 Times in 3,844 Posts
Mal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Us government's trick to violate civil liberties

Quote:
Originally Posted by almightywood View Post
My beliefs are my character, my character is me - see above.
You're committing another logical fallacy, Equivocation. Just because the same word is used, doesn't mean the same meaning is used.

When you refer to beliefs being a person's character, you are using definition 1: "the aggregate of features and traits that form the individual nature of some person or thing." However, the character referred to in the definition for ad Hominem can be either of definitions 4: "qualities of honesty, courage, or the like; integrity." Or 5: reputation.

Ad Hominem is used in an attempt to disprove someone's claims by claiming the person is not be be taken seriously. Even assuming attacking someone's beliefs can be taken as an attack on their character, it is not Argumentum ad Hominem.

What was it you were saying about a backfire in proof?

Last edited by Mal; 12-21-2011 at 02:48 PM.
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mal For This Useful Post:
ACt (12-21-2011), ask me anything (12-21-2011), kael03 (12-21-2011), Miburo (12-21-2011), Numinous (12-21-2011)