Fandom Forums - View Single Post - Games and all things related
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2012, 08:44 PM   #2326
Mal
Scotch

Thanked 10,818 Times in 3,844 Posts
Mal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Games and all things related

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiegel View Post
I have an NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 video card with 1 GB GDDR5 of onboard memory, 8GB 1600 DDR3 RAM, an AMD Phenom II Quadcore 3.2GHz CPU. I'm basically going to buy Skyrim today but I also have a PS3. Would you guys recommend PC or PS3 for the better experience?
Skipping all posts after this rely immediately:

HOW THE FUCK IS THIS EVEN A QUESTION!? PC MOTHERFUCKER!

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi-God View Post
When you keep in mind the price of the games you can get on PC these days, the sheer amount of stuff you can do on it that you can't on consoles, the usual minimal cost of repair or upgrade compared to the price of a console, attachments (granted you also have to get some for the PC, a monitor comes to mind), price of new games, the actual hardware you get for the price, the repair costs sometimes costing as much as a new bloody console (gone through this before myself), there's just no doubt that even cost wise a PC is a lot better.
Yeah, you need a monitor for your PC, but it's still significantly cheaper than a TV. The only reason I have cable right now is because I get it free for a while, other than that my consoles are the only reason I have a TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post
PC makes good games better. That's the main reason I prefer them. I mean, I play a lot of games on console. Let's take Fallout: New Vegas again, since it's one of my favourite games of the last 10 years. I played the shit out of it on console. Must be 200-odd hours or something. I bought all of the DLC, on top of the game itself which was full price, the day before it actually came out. Didn't regret it.

I bought the same game, again, with all the DLC, on PC a few weeks ago. It cost £13-ish for exactly the same stuff.

Except now I have massively reduced loading times, better framerate and graphics, and the crowning jewel, mods. Mods can make a bad game playable (Oblivion), and a good game even better. The first thing I did before I booted up New Vegas on PC was download a mod that adds eyepatches. I mean, holy shit. Game automatically even better. After playing vanilla for a few hours, I modded it with Project Nevada. Now I'm replaying a game I've already played the shit out of, and it's a much different experience. It's awesome.

tl;dr mods are awesome, and PC is superior.
This. Once I'm no longer living with and sharing games with my brother, I'll be buying most of my games on PC. The only reason I will have to own a console is for local multiplayer when friends come over to hang out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerox View Post
What's also holding CPUs in general back, is the cooling. Most of the newst chips work on full capacity only in -200°C or something.
That's because electricity in general is more efficient at lower temperatures. Unfortunately, we are still waiting on practical lidquid nitrogen cooling systems.

Last edited by Mal; 01-12-2012 at 08:58 PM.
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mal For This Useful Post:
Axiom (01-12-2012), Nerox (01-12-2012)