Fandom Forums - View Single Post - Us government's trick to violate civil liberties
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2012, 08:15 PM   #188
Numinous
Writing speed: snail

Thanked 11,563 Times in 3,932 Posts
Numinous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Us government's trick to violate civil liberties

Oh boy, he sure keeps his promises, doesn't he?

Quote:
Originally Posted by almightywood View Post
Not really, you all were trying to tell me my opinion was invalid through stating your own.
And? Opinions that are logically sound beat opinions based on baloney every time, is this some kind of news for you? Because this was established at the dawn of civilization, or else there wouldn't be civilization to begin with.

Quote:
You all brought your opinions up in contention to mine, not the reverse. In other words, it was you who were enforcing your opinions on me.
Let me clarify Mal's words since you clearly didn't get them: you were enforcing on us your opinion not to refute us in any way, but rather to save face. So you're right in the aspect you weren't contending anyone's opinion, but that's because you were way too busy defending the disgrace of an opinion you had (and still have) to even bother with ours.

And what you call "enforcing your opinions", I call "slapping the stupid out of you".

Quote:
No, my point all along, was that you all state your opinions like they are facts. Whereas I state mine as though it's an opinion. You can't disprove an opinion with an opinion, only with a fact. That is why you can not prove an opinion wrong without proving it impossible.
With enough mental gymnastics, anybody can assert that nothing can be impossible, only highly improbable, but what's the fucking point of that? Are we supposed to stop thinking and say "but there's always the chance..." and call it a day? NO!

Humanity cannot reach absolute knowledge as of now. We are imperfect beings that can only use subjective terms, so if you go by definition, everything is an opinion, even facts, since we already witnessed the evolution of facts throughout human history. But if mankind wants to obtain absolute knowledge or at least something very, very close to it, focus is vital, and logic/science provide such focus.

Tracing back to opinions and acknowledging the intrinsically subjective nature of them, opinions do not have the same strength, because their foundations are not the same. If you base your opinions on propositions that are within the focus of knowledge, naturally they'll be stronger than opinions based on propositions that were already left outside of it. That's why opinions can be right and wrong and your philosophy is full of shit.

Quote:
When you talk about right and wrong (in the logical sense), you are talking about something that basically exists completely outside the realm of anything I was ever even discussing.
That's because you're a giant pussy, no surprises there.

Quote:
The only problem here is the fact that you all refuse to approach a non-debate discussion with a non-debate oriented approach. Debates are for meatheads who don't like to mull on things. It's a way for people to feel important about themselves and smart. After all the whole point of a debate isn't the truth at all, it's just winning.
Quote:
A debate is just the common man's way to "figure something out" so they no longer have to think about it. It's the lowest form of intellectual discussion, and if you insist on doing it then do it with someone who actually wants to. A discussion that is not a debate is the only good way to pass along information since you don't have to fight people to get your message across. At that point it is up to them whether or not they choose to accept what you have to say.
The same happens with discussions, you moron, because you still keep using the god-awful colloquial term of debate when everybody else is using the academic. Keep up with the program or gtfo!

Quote:
I like to think about and consider all possibilities and what they entail since you can not come up with new and interesting concepts without stepping outside the standard thought process.
What a pitiful bag of lies. Originality indeed is dependent on how much you know, because the odds of finding some intellectual territory unexplored is higher that way BUT you can have new, interesting concepts entirely based on logic.

Besides, what "new, interesting concepts" can come from Flat Earth Theory? Or creationism? Or fairy farts conducting planes instead of aerodynamics? I'd be more than happy to hear them.

Quote:
Being ethically right and wrong is something I care about, I find the other right and wrong to be the most insignificant concept on the face of the planet. Since it is only an illusion anyway. Once you determine that someone is "right" with a debate, then you file it away under "resolved" even though no conclusion was ever actually reached, as there is still more to know about the subject, whatever it is.
Wow, you're stupid. You think that when the "file" is archived, we just throw the keys out to never open it again? Of course not, if suddenly God materializes for the whole world to see, I'm not going to be a moron and say "there's no such thing as a God!". No, I'll just open the archive, pull the file "I don't believe in God", switch it with "I believe in God" and send the former to the shredder.

That's what you should be doing, shredding files that not even baby Krishna cares about instead of hoarding them in pure fear of ever being wrong. It's okay to filter your information, that's what open-mindedness is all about: acknowledging, then processing, then having the information at hand in case it needs to be updated.

Quote:
My whole little philosophy wasn't created so that I could never be wrong. It has nothing to do with me always being right. Right and wrong (at least in the way that you guys are using it) doesn't even exist for me because of my philosophy.
Surprise levels: -3. Of course right or wrong don't exist in your philosophy, because that'd entail the possibility of being wrong, something you're too much of a pussy to own up your mistakes.

Quote:
Or at least that's the point of it anyway. I adopted it to stop myself from attacking other people and calling them wrong, as I personally think that is the worst thing you can do to anyone. No and wrong are the worst words in the english language, as what they most often do is cause people to stop trying to live an individual lifestyle, rather than inspire them to overcome adversity, as you all have kidded yourselves into believing you are doing.
Shut up with the hippie stuff, you maniac. No and Wrong are as good as tools as Yes and Right, because you cannot have one without the other. You can't be positive without the concept of negativism. You can't be an individual without the concept of a group. You are the one kidding yourself, pretending that if you don't care about the bad stuff it'll suddenly go away. No, there's only satiety with famine, there's only love with hatred, there's only peace with war, the moment one stops existing, the other stops making sense. No, wrong, famine, war, hatred are things we don't like, but that's how reality is and we have to live with it.

So come down from your Woodstock pedestal and open your eyes.

Quote:
Creativity and diversity are the only things that will insure the survival of our race through all the crap that the universe will eventually throw at us, and you guys' philosophy is all about stamping those things out.
Yeah, that's why I have a fiction of my own, most guys you're arguing with have too, all with distinct, different themes. You really should measure your words before saying stupid things.

Also, resources and sex is what insures the survival of a species, now the growth of it is indeed insured by creativity, diversity AND LOGIC.

Quote:
You all can call me a hypocrite for posting again, Idgias.
What's idgias? Even google couldn't solve that shit.

Water of Ocean Darkest Chapters: 1 - 2
Weaver Chapters: 0 - 1 - 2 - 3

Numinous is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Numinous For This Useful Post:
Axiom (01-18-2012), kael03 (01-18-2012), Miburo (01-20-2012), xxMESTxx (01-18-2012)