Fandom Forums - View Single Post - Us government's trick to violate civil liberties
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2012, 06:43 PM   #499
almightywood
Missing-Nin

almightywood is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Us government's trick to violate civil liberties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi-God View Post
But you have to understand that you can't expect people to just chase up every possibility, especially highly implausible ones. They are on YOUR list of maybes, and you should at least have some basis on why it's there and be able to back it up.
As far as I'm concerned, when it comes to possibilities, the whole point is that there is no proof. If there is proof, it isn't possible, it either is or isn't.
Which scenario is right has nothing to do with likelihood in my opinion.
While probability is pretty accurate when spread over a large enough sample, when applied to only a one or a few, they pretty much mean jack. Since when it comes down to it, there's only one truth (though many correct ways to perceive it) we might as well just discount probability when it comes to determination of right and wrong in any sense.

Quote:
For it to be a possibility there needs to be some reason for you to assume that it has a chance of being true. If someone says that you're wrong most of the time the reason is because of the lack of evidence to support your claim or because they have other data that contradict your possible theory.
Well, I kind of already answered this but, if it's a possibility that means it's an unknown, and since probability isn't foolproof, it isn't proof either.

Quote:
But if you were to ask (you know, it's a possibility), wouldn't you expect me to offer the evidence? Or would you be content with me telling you that it's all down to you to disprove it.
If you were to make such a claim I wouldn't proclaim it wrong. I might ask you how you came to the conclusion, but if you chose not to disclose, then I would respect that. If I were to call you wrong, then I absolutely would feel burdened with the proving, since I would be changing it from an unknown to a known and removing it once and for all as a possibility one way or another (if I could back up my claim).

Last edited by almightywood; 02-07-2012 at 06:56 PM.
almightywood is offline   Reply With Quote