Fandom Forums - View Single Post - The Longest Thread Ever v28
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 02:24 PM   #15798
Mal
Scotch

Thanked 10,818 Times in 3,844 Posts
Mal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of light
Re: The Longest Thread Ever v28

Quote:
Originally Posted by kael03 View Post
Edit: As far as the US economy is concerned, I think the biggest thing that needs to be done is reroute a chunk of the funds aimed at the military (nothing against our soldiers, I'm of the mindset that we don't need to have a military presence in every damn country on the planet, only a military presence that tells other countries to not fuck with us) towards things like cleaner fuel sources, education, and the space program.
I am all for having a strong and well-equipped military as long as it is funded intelligently and efficiently. The fact that America spent more on air conditioning for troops in Afghanistan than they did on all of NASA the past few years is disgusting. As for education, I recently listened to an episode of NPR's Planet Money that summarized and explained two studies that found early childhood environment had a massive affect on everything from IQ to college graduation and teen pregnancy rates. It makes a convincing case for placing more emphasis on pre-school, which makes sense to me since more socially-adjusted kids make for more socially-adjusted teens and adults.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanity View Post
As much as I think all the crazies will herd together to attain a decent percentage in a PR-house system, I also think that the majority of voters aren't really far right or far left, but rather dangle somewhere close to the middle, having leanings one way or the other. A PR system would ease the retarded "us vs them" battle that bipartisanship cultivates, and I think it would make for a smoother election process, especially if officials are presented for the party rather than elected. This would cut down on the fucking waste of money in campaigning. PACs, Super PACs, along with bundling, and soft money are easily some of the most corrupt things our election process has spawned.
My main concern with PACs and Super PACs is how easily they can be manipulated for extortion. "You know, this competitor of yours donated $5 million to help our candidate..."
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mal For This Useful Post:
kael03 (11-12-2012), Numinous (11-12-2012), Vanity (11-13-2012)